[News] Microsoft's Allergy to Freedom is Killing It

Microsoft's licensing cripples its relevance to the Amazon cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps Microsoft doesn't care. Perhaps its cloud offerings will be of
| Microsoft, for Microsoft. But this isn't how Microsoft became the dominant
| desktop vendor that it is today. Microsoft dominates because it opened its
| technology enough to become the center of a vibrant ecosystem.
|
| By cutting itself off from others' cloud-based offerings, Microsoft has
| chosen to go it alone. This could be a winning strategy, but my money is on
| the companies that can drive widely dispersed value from the cloud. With its
| proprietary licensing, Microsoft will not be among this group.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10093608-16.html

Windows: The pit stop on the road to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not surprising that the survey of an open-source company should reveal
| indifference to Microsoft technology, but that's not what the survey
| suggests, in my opinion. Rather, I think it demonstrates that Microsoft
| technology has become mere furniture. It's not the center of attention
| anymore.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10093551-16.html

Related:

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html