[News] Free Software Leads the Way in Inventions

Open Source -- Can It Innovate?

,----[ Quote ]
| There's an argument commonly heard these days that open-source software is
| all very well for infrastructure or commodity software where the requirements
| are well-established, but that it can't really innovate. I laugh when I hear
| this, because I remember when the common wisdom was exactly the opposite --
| that we hackers were great for exploratory, cutting-edge stuff but couldn't
| deliver reliable product.
|
| How quickly people forget. We built the World Wide Web, fer cripessakes! The
| original browser and the original webservers were built by a hacker at CERN,
| not in some closed-door corporate shop. Before that, years before we got
| Linux and our own T-shirts, people who would later identify their own
| behavior correctly as open-source hacking built the Internet.
`----

http://www.opensource.org/node/375

Related:

ITxpo: Reaction to Gates shows paradox

,----[ Quote ]
| Repeatedly pushed by Gartner Group analyst Scott Winkler regarding criticisms
| that Microsoft doesn't do anything innovative but merely takes existing
| technologies and ideas and puts them, quite successfully, into its own
| business model, Gates seemed evasive. Winkler asked Gates to list specific
| innovations and when the Microsoft chairman and chief executive officer said
| that his company was the first to separate operating system development from
| hardware development, Winkler cut him off.
|
| "You didn't innovate that," the analyst said, noting that Microsoft obtained
| DOS externally.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?981014.wcitgates.htm

Crushed by Microsoft: What I learned