[News] GravityZoo and RapidMind Incorporate FOSS into Strategy

GravityZoo Goes Open Source With MediaZoo

,----[ Quote ]
| GravityZoo todayannounced that MediaZoo, its Cloud based media library &
| player, is going Open Source. The source code is released under the GNU
| General Public License v3.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/gravityzoo-goes-open-source-with-mediazoo,614165.shtml

RapidMind Embraces Open Source and Standards Projects to Increase Focus on
Simplifying Parallel Programming for Application Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| LLVM is a set of open-source libraries and tools that provide a
| hardware-independent interface to generate and optimize machine code for a
| variety of processor architectures. LLVM is used in a number of compilers and
| other products that require code generation, such as domain-specific
| languages and Just-In-Time compilers. According to the LLVM website (
| http://llvm.org), companies such as Apple, Adobe, Electronic Arts, Siemens,
| and others have integrated LLVM into their software.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/RapidMind-Embraces-Open-Source-Standards/story.aspx?guid=%7B6F56329B-8E56-414F-9BE9-352604A5F717%7D

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took
the TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."

                                --Bill Gates, Microsoft

Recent:

webEdition 6 Now Open Source - CMS Open Source Code Plus Professional Services
Support Available From Manufacturer

,----[ Quote ]
| Living-e AG announced that it is offering its successful content management
| system webEdition 6 as open source software as of today.

Open Sourcing BricaBox

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://innonate.com/2008/07/25/open-sourcing-bricabox/

@Mail takes Webmail client open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The @Mail Open client includes spell check, address book and video mail and
| is offered under an Apache 2.0 Open Source license. Users also can jump from
| the free client to the commercial version, which adds calendaring, and a
| groupware and antivirus module.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=56062106&rid=-50

Related:

WordPress is Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Six Apart has recently decided that the best way to win back customers
| fleeing their platforms is to target WordPress, which is a new strategy they
| call competing. (What have they been doing the past 7 years?) A good example
| is this exchange between a commenter on Valleywag and Byrne Reese, the lead
| developer of Movable Type:
|
| Sundown: “@anildash: what part of Wordpress is not open source?”
|
| byrnereese: “@Sunnduwn - I think that is a question better asked of
| Automattic. Anil, and certainly not Six Apart, has never been briefed, nor
| has anyone for that matter been presented with an accounting of what is open
| and closed source at Automattic.”
|
| Okay, here’s some accounting:
|
| WordPress is 100% open source, GPL.
|
| All plugins in the official directory are GPL or compatible, 100% open
| source.
|
| bbPress is 100% GPL.
|
| WordPress MU is 100% open source, GPL, and if you wanted you could take it
| and build your own hosted platform like WordPress.com, like edublogs.org has
| with over 100,000 blogs.
|
| There is more GPL stuff on the way, as well. :)
|
| Could you build Typepad or Vox with Movable Type? Probably not, especially
| since people with more than a few blogs or posts say it grinds to a halt, as
| Metblogs found before they switched to WordPress.
`----

http://ma.tt/2008/03/wordpress-is-open-source/

How The GPL Can Save Your Ass

,----[ Quote ]