[News] Reviews of Excellent Audio Players for GNU/Linux

Songbird plus Mozilla, the ultimate media mashup for your music

,----[ Quote ]
| GNU/Linux has come a long way since XXMS, the Winamp wannabe. The number of
| free media players has bloomed: Amarok, Banshee, Rhythmbox, Kaffeine, Kplayer
| and JuK. They have enough features to cater for every need a dedicated music
| lover could wish for. So Songbird, which is not even at version 1.0, would
| have its work cut out to rival those media players especially the ability to
| play video as well as music. But Songbird has one unique feature. It has a
| built-in browser, Mozilla, which allows it to extract maximum mileage from
| your music collection. Web integration leverages your music and allows you to
| do some really great stuff. This article will look at the features of
| Songbird that make it an essential addition to any installation.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/songbird_plus_mozilla_ultimate_media_mashup_your_music

Hands on: Songbird 1.0 music app soars

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, Songbird is a great music application that's getting off to a great
| 1.0 start. With a rich UI, a wealth of customizable options, and a firm grasp
| on the fundamentals of what a 21st-century media player needs to do, Songbird
| is a very solid alternative for users who want a truly cross-platform option
| for organizing and getting social with their music libraries.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081109-hands-on-songbird-1-0-music-app-soars.html

Review of two best audio player of Linux System

,----[ Quote ]
| I always try to keep audio and video player separate from each other. Most
| people don't care until their system gets jammed about memory stuff. But some
| are too concerned and try to execute whatever takes less memory on their
| system and still get their job done. I will list two applications (one is not
| quite single application, it's a collection).
|
| a. Amarok: (Version Memory: 21.6MiB)
| b. Esperanza: (Version 0.4.0, Memory: 3.1MiB)
`----

http://bestaudioplayers.blogspot.com/

Recent:

Songbird gets ready to fly with 1.0 release candidate

,----[ Quote ]
| The Songbird developers have contributed extensively to bring cross-platform
| support to GStreamer, an open source multimedia framework that is used
| extensively on Linux. GStreamer is now used as the Songbird media backend
| across all platforms, improving the performance and reliability of audio
| playback. In addition to supporting MP3, FLAC, and OGG across all platforms,
| GStreamer also supports WMA on Windows and AAC on Windows and Mac OS X.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/11/06/songbird-1-0-release-candidate-now-available

Songbird 1.0 Poised to Rule the Jukebox Roost

,----[ Quote ]
| The first release candidate for Songbird 1.0 is now available and contains
| all the features slated for the final release. Songbird, which is a free,
| open source media player built on the same technologies underlying Firefox,
| is just about ready to take on iTunes.
`----

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Songbird_1DOT0_Poised_to_Rule_the_Jukebox_Roost

Songbird 0.7.0 Review - Audio Player for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I'll start with a quote from the official Songbird homepage, which goes
| like 'Songbird promises to be the Firefox of media players'. Although not
| (yet) as popular in the audio players world as Firefox is in the one of web
| browsers, Songbird looks and offers an interface which integrates both
| powerful browsing features and music collection management.
|
| [...]
|
| I liked this Songbird release better than the last version I tried, but I
| think it needs some improvements too, like the UI font size or more features
| regarding the collection management. Having such a powerful integrated web
| browser may be useful to some, although it can look a little bloated to
| others. Nevertheless, Songbird is is worth a try for any of you who like to
| fetch music information while listening, get lyrics etc, without opening an
| additional web browser.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2008/10/songbird-070-review-audio-player-for.html

Songbird Rocks!

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm not that picky when it comes to desktop audio player. Typically, I just
| use whatever audio player that comes with my Linux distro. As long as it
| plays all of my audio files (with the right plugins of course), I'm good.
| Until most recently, when I've tried those iTunes replacements that I wrote
| about a while ago, I've discovered Songbird, and it quickly became my
| favorite audio player.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/09/songbird-rocks.html

Songbird 0.7.0, finally a functional player for linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| Songbird is built from the ground up on the Mozilla project. The media
| player's UI is programmed in the same XML User Interface Language (XUL) that
| Firefox uses for its UI. Much like Firefox, Songbird has support for
| user-created extensions, and you can improve the player functionalities
| simply by installing extensions as you usually do with the Firefox browser.
`----

http://motonacciu.blogspot.com/2008/09/songbird-070-finally-functional-player.html

Songbird 0.6 - The Bird Got Wings

,----[ Quote ]
| Songbird is practically two things, both an audio player and a web browser.
| As an audio player, it does what it's supposed to do: it plays music,
| providing a library but not much of other options.
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/06/songbird-06-bird-got-wings.html

Songbird media player: the love child of Mozilla and WinAmp

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080416-songbird-sets-music-free.html