[News] Google's Phone Gains Debian GNU/Linux

Debian gets ported to the G1, makes nice with Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Recent firmware updates may have aimed to shut down such shenanigans, but it
| looks they were a little too slow to stop Jay Freeman (a.k.a. Saurik) from
| going to town with his newly jailbroken G1 and installing Debian on the
| handset.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/10/debian-gets-ported-to-the-g1-makes-nice-with-android/

Google fanboys will love the G1

,----[ Quote ]
| WHILST APPLE'S Ithingey feels like a portable video player with phone
| functionality shoe-horned in, T-Mobile's G1 feels more like a regular HTC
| handset that has had an engine change. Bizarrely, the INQ quite liked it.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/10/google-fans-love-g1

Google's Android becomes more like OpenMoko (thanks to hacking) and OpenMoko
will gain Android soon. Voluntary convergence.

Recent:

Open phone hardware vendor frees schematics

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko has promised to publish schematic diagrams for its latest hardware
| design, the Neo FreeRunner. Schematics should enable community developers to
| create alternative firmware for the device, in order to better adapt it to
| entirely new purposes.

First Openmoko Custom Phone Now Available and Wears a Debian Plaid Kilt

,----[ Quote ]
| The Openmoko Neo Freerunner phone was released only a few weeks ago, and
| already, a customized version called the W.E. Phone is now available for
| purchase. So what's the difference between the naked-as-a-baby Neo and the
| Canadian-based W.E.? The latter comes with a full bundle of custom Google
| applications, on top of the core GNU/Linux OS base with dialing, SMS and
| contacts.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/07/first-openmoko.html

OpenMoko Neo Freerunner - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Openmoko, born as a Free Software project under  GPL and LGPL license, is
| dedicated to delivering an open software stack on mobile platforms. Openmoko
| shipped its first product, the Neo 1973, on July 9 2007; and then turned into
| a start-up company with one aim: create great mobile products using the
| Openmoko stack: Open. Mobile. Free.
|
| The first Openmoko product, the Neo 1973, sold exclusively through Openmoko
| Online Shop. It sold out in early February 2008.
|
| Openmoko started selling the Neo FreeRunner (GTA02), the second generation of
| Neo, on July 3, 2008. It is available through the Openmoko Online Shop or
| national distributers.
|
| I received my FreeRunner as part of the first batch of orders shipped on July
| 7th.  I've now been playing with it for 10 days and these are my impressions.
|
| [...]
|
| All said and done I really like the phone.  And, like the main devs, am
| hesitant to call it a "phone".  It is really a handheld Linux computer that
| happens to have GPS and a GSM phone built-in.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/7/27/46753

FreeRunner Linux phone sells out, more on the way

,----[ Quote ]
| Less that one week after going on sale via its own e-commerce site, the
| 900MHz version of OpenMoko's Neo FreeRunner Linux phone has sold out, but
| don't despair yet as more are on the way.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/252142/freerunner_linux_phone_sells_more_way

Related:

OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279