[News] [Rival] IDG/ComputerWorld/PCWorld 'Loaned' $2,000 (Indefinitely) to Praise Vista 7

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] IDG/ComputerWorld/PCWorld 'Loaned' $2,000 (Indefinitely) to Praise Vista 7
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:39:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Windows 7 first look: A big fix for Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Along with several dozen other reviewers and analysts, we got our first real
| look at the OS, preinstalled on loaner notebooks, over the weekend at a
| workshop on the eve of the Microsoft Professional Developers Conference.
| Microsoft planned to hand out installation discs later Tuesday, after the
| head of engineering for Windows and Windows Live, Steven Sinofsky, delivers
| his scheduled keynote formally introducing Windows 7 to PDC attendees. (We'll
| report on our experiences upgrading PCs from Vista to 7 later on.)
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1875150822;fp;4194304;fpid;1

This ShillPiece has spread to many more places. Microsoft 'seeds' the press by
giving away optimised high-end PCs as gifts to journalists it likes.

Recent:

Microsoft bribes again?

,----[ Quote ]
| But, if as appears may be the case Microsoft is letting people have Dell XPS
| M1330 laptops with 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processors and 3GBs of RAM
| on 'indefinite loans (wink, wink) then it's a bribe in my book. What do you
| think? If you knew someone had been given a PC with a list price of $1,956
| and then wrote nice things about the operating system that came with it would
| you be inclined to think that they might be just a wee bit influenced by the
| almost two grand worth of computer?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsoft_bribes_again

Blacklisted by Microsoft!

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically, they blacklisted me from certain super-secret (i.e.
| pre-conference, NDA, off-the books) sessions at their Professional Developer
| Conference (PDC) –- this after formally inviting me to attend those sessions
| as an "esteemed reviewer" representing InfoWorld.
|
| [...]
|
| Oct. 9, 2008 -- A short while later, I get my first hit. It seems that the
| whole mess started when the Windows Server team made the mistake of inviting
| yours truly to an event hosted by the Windows Client team. Apparently, the
| folks on the Server team were unaware of my decidedly negative views towards
| Vista, and when the Client folks found out they had invited Randall C.
| Kennedy -– a.k.a. Vista's most vocal and effective critic -– to their
| special, "for fanbois only" (nice photos, Paul) shindig, they went ballistic.
|
| First, it appears that someone high up on the Client Team (Steve?) really
| doesn't like me. I mean, really, truly loathes me. And it's not just your
| run-of-the-mill frustration with a journalist who picks on them. This thing
| is personal, and the executive in question is allowing his or her personal
| feelings to spill over into the company's handling of formal press relations
| with InfoWorld.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2008/10/blacklisted_by.html

Related:

PC Mag May Boycott Edelman PR

,----[ Quote ]
| Transparency is a word that's been kicked around a lot lately. But
| too much transparency is what got Edelman PR pro and blogebrity
| Steve Rubel kicked around this week, instead. An early Friday
| 13th comment about PC Magazine is fueling a potential boycott,
| as well as fulfilling what the PR world had feared about blogging.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2007/04/20/pc-mag-may-boycott-edelman-pr

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Microsoft Sent A Free Laptop With Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm not sure how I was selected to be one of the people receiving this
| (I'm assuming there are others, but I haven't come across any yet).
| It could be that they are reaching out to bloggers who are Mac users
| (I switched to a Mac back when OS X came out) or it might just be that
| people I know who work for Microsoft or other influential bloggers
| recommended me
`----

http://laughingsquid.com/microsoft-sent-a-free-laptop-with-windows-vista/

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html