[News] Copyrights Cartel Finally Sort of Gives in to Copyleft

MGM to Post Full Films on YouTube

,----[ Quote ]
| YouTube has also developed a system called VideoID. It allows media companies
| to spot unauthorized clips of their material on the site, and then either
| remove the clips or leave them up and sell ads on them.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/business/media/10mgm.html?hp

The MAFIAA is finally using its suppressive battle.

Cory Doctorow: Why I Copyfight

,----[ Quote ]
| Why does all this copyright reform stuff matter, anyway? What's at stake?
|
| Everything.
|
| Until a very short time ago, copyright was an industrial regulation. If you
| fell under copyright's domain, it meant that you were using a piece of
| extraordinary industrial apparatus — a printing press, a motion-picture
| camera, a record press. The cost of this apparatus was significant, so adding
| a couple hundred bucks for the services of a skilled copyright attorney to
| the deal wasn't much of a hardship. It merely tacked a couple percentage
| points of overhead onto the cost of doing business.
`----

http://www.locusmag.com/Features/2008/11/cory-doctorow-why-i-copyfight.html

Recent:

Presidential Election Voting Machines Violate Copyrights, Suit Claims

,----[ Quote ]
| Artifex Software, of San Rafael, Calif., claims that PES systems infringe on
| its copyrighted Ghostscript PFD interpretation and printing software. Artifex
| claims PES is using Ghostscript in its electronic election systems even
| though Diebold and PES "have not been granted a license to modify, copy, or
| distribute any of Artifex's copyrighted works," Artifex claims in court
| papers filed late last month in U.S. District Court for Northern California.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/management/legal/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212000374

Music stars unite to seek control

,----[ Quote ]
| UK pop and rock stars are taking action to try to gain ownership and control
| of their work from record labels.

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
`----