Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: High Plains Thumper <h...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:58:35 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

[QUOTE] Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
So, it appears that Roy is using images on his blog
that he has wholesale copied from the authors without permission.

I noticed this on this article:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/03/03/scoble-giv
en-up/

Interesting that he credits the image author (for that
one), but he neglected to actually get the authors permission to copy it. I was suspicious that this
might be the case and emailed the author to find out.
He confirmed that it was copyright infringement.

If he had merely linked to the image, it would have
been more acceptable, since he wouldn't have actually
copied the image. However, that would beg the
bandwidth stealing argument of linking to images on
other peoples sites.

In any event, I have to wonder how many other images
on his site have been similarly misappropriated.  Many
of them have no credits at all.

Bummer for you Roy.

I am not so sure it is crackers for Roy.  After going to
his root webpage and clicking on "Gallery" on

http://www.schestowitz.com/Gallery/

shows this:

Home Visit in Spring Photos are low in resolution (Web
cam) Last changed on 05/18/05. This album contains 17
items This album has been viewed 929 times since
05/16/05.

KDE Screenshots Dual-head, SuSE Linux, 2003-2005 Last changed on 11/03/05. This album contains 10 items This
album has been viewed 1278 times since 04/04/05.

Room view on December 16th, 2004 View from the room --
Photos by Lital Schestowitz Last changed on 05/30/05.
This album contains 16 items This album has been
viewed 1000 times since 01/01/05.

The Sunnegga on December 16th, 2004 Assorted photos
from the astounding hills -- Photos by Lital
Schestowitz Last changed on 08/19/05. This album
contains 16 items This album has been viewed 866 times
since 01/01/05.

Around the village on December 16th, 2004 Pictures
from the streets of Zermatt -- Photos by Lital
Schestowitz Last changed on 05/30/05. This album
contains 12 items This album has been viewed 990 times
since 01/01/05.

A casual browse of his website shows mostly text with
very little graphics.  What limited graphics exist
appear generic and iconish.

He used WordPress, an open source publishing software:

http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress

/quote/ We are proud to offer you a freely distributed, standards- compliant, fast, light and free personal publishing platform, with sensible default settings and features, and an extremely customizable core.

License and Platform

* License : WordPress is licensed under the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html)./-quote/

I do not think use of WordPress images with the
application are considered illegal.

Furthermore, alternate webpage with images at

http://schestowitz.com/Art/Schestowitz/images.html

has 12 images limited to textual reference to his
website name.

IMHO, Fare Use clause in British copyright law allows
the use of an image downloaded from the internet for
personal use and research, provided credit is given to
the owner/author.  Being a graduate student, Mr.
Schestowitz is a researcher.

Did Mr. Schestowitz defame the author?  I think not.

Did he stretch the Fare Use clause in British copyright
law by posting this only image on the net?  Perhaps.

However, would the American author consider it
worthwhile to go after a college student, seeking
compensation on British soil for a personal non-profit
blog site with limited content and low volume hits?
That would be ridiculous. [/QUOTE]

So, 30 months ago, you had no idea what Erik was talking about, and so posted a bunch of random blather. Why do
you think that is relevant now?

<SNIP rest of troll rant>

This is an example of an ad hominem attack:

http://tantek.pbwiki.com/TrollTaxonomy

[quote] Ad hominem troll

Ad hominem troll at its simplest, will attack people
personally, rather than the merits of their statements or
methodologies.

The ad hominem troll often has already lost a rational
argument about a topic, and thus its goal is to change the
argument from being about a topic, to being about the people
opposed to the troll (which could mean any/all rational
person(s) in the discussion), in the hopes of both
discrediting people's ideas indirectly by discrediting the
people, and engendering an emotional reaction from the
people by attacking their egos / self-image. The "getting a
reaction out of" goal is common to most troll types.

The simple ad hominem troll is easily detected and dealt
with by calling them on their ad hominem attacks.

However, often ad hominem troll will start its discourse
with seemingly reasonable commentary, perhaps an analogy
etc. Using rational tone, they may lull you into thinking
that they are rational in general and thus their entire
message should be considered rational. Once they have
established such an impression, then they will then descend
into personal attacks which may even sound reasonably
worded, until you recognize them for what they are, nothing
more than personal attacks.

Example: thacker. thacker starts by ignoring the previous
comment (which itself was a rational challenge to thacker's
earlier statements), repeating himself (see the section
below on Repeating themselves), then moves onto an analogy.
Afterwards he continues with personal attacks, starting
subtly worded, then increasingly harsh:

* "some here, yourself included, will not see nor understand
 the parallels"
* "Your noses are simply buried too deeply into the proverbial bark." * "Or you lack the courage, will, ability to step away and ask the truly difficult questions. That is a shame." [/quote]

OK, so you've demonstrated that you have no idea what "ad
hominem" means.

This is a continued example of the above.

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/tim-smith-troll.html

--
HPT