[News] IBM Gains from Choosing the International Documents Standard (ODF)

The Importance of the Open Standards Decision on Marketing WebSphere

,----[ Quote ]
| Fair play: “Proprietary data and document formats are becoming increasingly
| disdained—why should I have to buy a specific piece of software to look at my
| data? Many governments are beginning to look at this closely, mandating use
| of open data and document formats, such as OpenDocument format (ODF). They
| feel it is important that a citizen should not have to purchase a particular
| vendor’s technology to access public information. In addition, countries that
| are trying to compete on a global market see that standards help level the
| playing field. Just add my unique function on top of the entire process.”
`----

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1273864

IBM Unveils Mac Support, Roadmap For Lotus Symphony

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2009 version calls for 60 new features that included developing the
| software entirely on version 1.2 of the OpenDocument format and OpenOffice
| 3.0 code base.
|
| [...]
|
| Lotus Symphony is available at no charge by IBM, which also uses the software
| as part of the company's Open Collaboration Client Solution, which also
| includes the Lotus Notes e-mail client and the Lotus Sametime instant
| messaging client. The OCCS suite ships on Linux as an alternative desktop to
| Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/enterpriseapps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212000816

Sun, IBM launch ODF tools project

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM and Sun Microsystems yesterday released the OpenDocument Format (ODF)
| Toolkit Union, a new open-source software community project to make it easier
| for developers to use and develop ODF applications.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3578

Recent:

OASIS Members Form Committee to Advance Interoperability and Conformance of
OpenDocument Format (ODF) Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| OASIS, the international open standards consortium, has formed a new group to
| help implementors create applications that conform to the OpenDocument Format
| (ODF) OASIS Standard. ODF defines a genuinely open XML file format for office
| productivity applications, including text, spreadsheets, charts, graphs,
| presentations, and databases. The new OASIS ODF Interoperability and
| Conformance (OIC) Committee will work to ensure that the growing number of
| ODF-compliant applications are able to interoperate and conform to the
| standard.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/OASIS-Members-Form-Committee-Advance/story.aspx?guid=%7BBE773C9C-507A-4966-BFAF-23A27FF18CCA%7D

We’re more committed to ODF than ever: SA government

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3502