[News] Microsoft Patent Leech Gets More Intellectual Monopolies

Avistar Receives Five New U.S. Patents for Real-Time Communications

,----[ Quote ]
| Avistar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: AVSR), a leading provider of
| unified visual communications solutions, today announced that it has been
| granted five new U.S. patents this month, including its 92nd patent, U.S.
| 7,441,001, covering services involving two or more real-time communications
| services such as text instant message (IM), video IM and Voice over IP
| (VoIP).
`----

http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=568355

More on re Bilski:

Federal Court Issues “Bilski” Decision

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, patent applications for many software systems will meet this test,
| and we have only minimal guidance from Bilski on how the test should be
| applied. However, SFLC believes that this decision takes us one step further
| toward freeing the United States from “software patents”. The SFLC hopes and
| expects that this case will lead to fewer patent grants that stand in the way
| of advancing software freedom.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2008/oct/30/bilski/

Bilski And Software Patents – Good News for FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week the Federal Circuit issued a major decision, In re Bilski,
| concerning the subject matter limits of patent law. The case presented
| questions relating to software patents, an issue of great significance to the
| free and open source software community, and so Red Hat filed a brief in
| Bilski to educate the appeals court about FOSS and its problems with the
| software patents. In the new opinion, the court cited Red Hat’s brief, but
| declined to settle the issue of when, if ever, software based inventions
| should be patentable. Even so, the new test in Bilski will probably limit the
| patentability of software. The war is not over, but the odds of success for
| FOSS just got better.
`----

http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/11/03/bilski-and-software-patents-%E2%80%93-good-news-for-foss/

The end of software patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source community will be resting a bit easier - "abstract" patents,
| for business processes have been ruled out by the US authorities, at least
| for now.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10009688o-2000469549b,00.htm

Gardner: Patent Bar Should Use Its High Priced Skills to Overcome Bilski et al.

,----[ Quote ]
| Gardner explains that the Patent Bar should stand-up and explain to the PTO
| and courts that "the application of novel and nonobvious software to
| otherwise computer hardware is neither 'routine' nor 'typical.'"
`----

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008/11/gardner-use-you.html

Recent:

Microsoft Has A Problem: Software Patents Go Up In Smoke

,----[ Quote ]
| So, companies like Microsoft would have a lot to rue about as a huge portion
| of their patent portfolio has become circumspect. This not only would rob
| them of revenues in terms of royalties but would also open up a lot of space
| for competition as well. Special thanks to Red Hat to take up the fight and
| providing crucial data to the court to take this decision. Stallman and FSF
| would be very happy today :)
`----

http://tech.shantanugoel.com/2008/11/01/microsoft-has-a-problem-software-patents-go-up-in-smoke.html

Is There Still A Big Loophole For Software And Business Method Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081030/1647512692.shtml