[News] OpenSolaris Evolves, OpenSparc Brought to Academia

OpenSolaris Constitution: Updating v2

,----[ Quote ]
| I updated the Constitution again. This is the third attempt. I'm sure there
| will be many more drafts. You don't write something like this in just a few
| drafts. Also, I put this version on the Genunix wiki, so hopefully that will
| make it easy for people to just jump in and edit.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris/entry/opensolaris_constitution_updating_v2

Sun injects Euro universities with OpenSparc

,----[ Quote ]
| The processor and operating system technologies that made Sun Microsystems
| one of the first big Silicon Valley startups got their start three decades
| inside the computer science departments of two universities. It was Stanford
| University for the hardware and the University of California at Berkeley for
| the operating system that would eventually become Solaris.
|
| There is a feedback loop you can get with tech and academia. It starts there,
| gets commercialized, and then comes back as products that universities and
| colleges deploy to do research. That's why new technology that offers some
| sort of edge is always adopted by academia and government labs first. Take
| Linux-based supercomputer clusters as just one example.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/05/sun_opensparc_europe/

This is a good step towards making hardware open and raising awareness of the
GPL.

Related:

Sun and Ministry of Education for the People's Republic of China Announce
Landmark Agreement Based on Sun's OpenSPARC Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems, Inc., (Nasdaq:JAVA) and the Ministry of Education (MOE) for
| the People's Republic of China today announced a three-year collaboration
| agreement designed to meet China's demand for cultivating integrated circuit
| (IC) engineering talent and industry development. The agreement is based on
| Sun's OpenSPARC(TM) program.
`----

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industries/technology/article/sun-ministry-education-peoples-republic-china-announce-landmark-agreement_496840_12.html

Sun's Niagara chip breaks like the Wind River

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River this week lent a helping hand to one of Sun Microsystems'
| more interesting processor efforts. The software maker announced that
| its telco hardened version of Linux will be tuned for Sun's UltraSPARC
| T1 processor.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/02/sun_windriver/

Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
| License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
| specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
| modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
| license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
| open-source license.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6156093.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

Sun, allies broaden open-source chip push

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6183562.html