[News] Discussion of Phones Revolves Around Open Source Players

‘Patrons and politics:’ Mobile OS choices raise questions

,----[ Quote ]
| Case in point: Google’s Android platform — an open-source Linux effort,
| license-free to all comers — has reached market via the G1 handset at
| T-Mobile USA. Google clearly intends to use the spread of the Android
| platform to fuel its own ambitions in mobile advertising and the next
| frontier in software-and-services.
`----

http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20081104/WIRELESS/811049980/1099/-patrons-and-politics-mobile-os-choices-raise-questions

Open source trumps proprietary in this sector.

Recent:

Windows Mobile - Like Being Dropped in a Toilet

,----[ Quote ]
| But it wasn't until the gal was dumped into the soup that I noticed the
| Windows Mobile ad. Because Microsoft, having failed to win hearts and minds
| with the drug-induced Seinfeld episodes (they were way too long to be mere
| commercials), figured that the next best thing was to buy ad space on the rim
| of something that reminds you of a potty. Stay classy, Microsoft!
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=windows_mobile_like_being_dropped_in_a_t&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
http://tinyurl.com/5srmud

iPhone 2.x Beats Windows Mobile 6.x into Coma

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Mobile's star is rapidly falling. Coming into 2008, RIM pushed
| Microsoft out of second place for smart phone operating systems, according to
| Gartner. Apple has surely knocked Microsoft into fourth place. The question:
| Is it fourth behind RIM or Apple? That depends on whether Apple snatched
| second place from RIM.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/iphone_2x_beats_windows_mobile_6x_into_coma.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Why Windows Mobile will die.

,----[ Quote ]
| So it's my job to tell you, then, that Windows Mobile is probably
| doomed.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20081023_005500.html

Why Windows Mobile Is In Trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently it was revealed that the newest version of Microsoft’s mobile
| operating system, Windows Mobile 7.0, would be delayed until as late as 2010.
| The updated version, which the company’s partners had reportedly been hoping
| to have by early 2009, was aimed at giving Microsoft a bigger presence on the
| mobile stage. But delay or no delay, I don’t think it would have been enough.
| With competition from a resurgent BlackBerry platform from Research in
| Motion, Apple’s iPhone and most importantly, the Google Phone platform (I
| will analyze Nokia’s Symbian platform in a separate post at a later date),
| Microsoft’s mobile platform is facing its toughest environment yet.
|
| [...]
|
| Sometime later this month, the G-1 will go on sale and people (at least those
| in the U.S.) will be able to experience the difference between a Windows
| Mobile- and an Android-based phone for themselves. Of course, some will find
| the shortcomings of the Google Phone — and according to Mossberg, there are
| many — grating. Others, like me, will be suitably impressed. And if they’re
| impressed enough, most handset makers will want to join the party.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/external/gigaom/2008/10/15/15gigaom-why-windows-mobile-is-in-trouble-24747.html

Windows Mobile misses annual shipment target

,----[ Quote ]
| Lees, a veteran Microsoft executive who moved from the Server & Tools unit in
| February, attributed the lower-than-projected Windows Mobile sales to some
| devices coming to market slightly later than previously expected. He declined
| to say which ones.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/144818.asp?source=rss

Related:

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1028