[News] Blu-ray (BD+) Support Likely Coming to Linux, DRM Unlocked

Has Blu-ray's copy protection been cracked?

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting developments on the Blu-ray front: it seems that it may have been
| hacked. That at least is the interpretation that seems (if you look at it
| sideways and narrow your eyes a bit) to emerge from the discussion on the
| Doom9 forum, though if you find the 11-page going too heavy there ("I have
| had a look at the difference of the output of dumphd and anydvd for a bd+
| movie.

Debian Project News - October 20th, 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve McIntyre posted some bits from the Debian CD team. With the upcoming
| release of Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny, Blu-ray Disc images will be available
| as well as CD and DVD images. For the first time in several years, users
| should be able to fit all of the packages for one architecture on a single
| disc. But due to the increased size of the Debian archive and considerations
| of storage and network bandwidth (especially on our mirrors) only a limited
| number of versions of each image will be available for direct download on our
| mirrors.

HD DVD dead, what now for the PS3?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that the HD DVD high definition disc format is dead .  What effect will
| that have on the Sony Blu-ray equipped games machine?  According to analysts,
| an immediate 10 % sales boost.

Director: Microsoft fueling HD wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is deliberately feeding into the HD disc format wars to ensure that
| its own downloads succeed where physical copies fail, says movie director
| Michael Bay in a response to a question posed through his official forums.
| The producer contends that Microsoft is writing "$100 million dollar checks"
| to movie studios to ensure HD DVD exclusives that hurt the overall market
| regardless of the format's actual merit or its popularity, preventing any one
| format from gaining a clear upper hand. Bay's own Transformers is available
| on disc only in the less popular HD DVD format despite his stated preference
| for Blu-ray. To the director, this is primarily a stalling tactic while
| Microsoft refines its own online-only technology.

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

,----[ Quote ]