Re: [News] [SOT] Fight Against the ACTA MAFIAA and RIAA Bulldogs

  • Subject: Re: [News] [SOT] Fight Against the ACTA MAFIAA and RIAA Bulldogs
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:49:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> MPs join fight to save McKinnon from US prison
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| MPs are being asked to support accused Pentagon hacker via a motion demanding
>| he serves any jail time he might eventually receive in the UK, even if his
>| long-running campaign to avoid extradition and trail in the US fails.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/03/mckinnon_parliamentary_support/

I very much hope that our MPs will support this wholeheartedly.  There
is positively no excuse for the abuse of anti-terrorism laws in this
way, particularly where the US has failed to sign-up to its side of the
bargain in any case.

This law should be repealed, and the use of poor, insecure, software for
critical government infrastructure should be reconsidered, with proper
guidelines for security, rather than jailing some poor soul who was so
bad at hacking that he got caught.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |