[News] USPTO Makes Chaos, More Legal Mess

DVDPlay sues Redbox, Coinstar for patent infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| In a bold move, DVDPlay filed a lawsuit today against Redbox and Coinstar
| (separately) for patent infringement.
|
| I dug into this a bit, and found that DVDPlay filed for this patent on May
| 25, 2000, and it was just issued today (Oct 28, 2008). So, it has been over 8
| years since the patent application was filed.
`----

http://www.insideredbox.com/dvdplay-sues-redbox-coinstar-for-patent-infringement/

USPTO = piece of s*. Here's more proof:

Disk dispensing and retrieval system and associated methods

,----[ Quote ]
| A kiosk dispenses and receives recorded optical disk media using an
| interconnected system central server computer through an Internet Service
| Provider.
`----

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=7444296&OS=7444296&RS=7444296
http://tinyurl.com/59p5rs

Took 8 years for this garbage. Submarine patent?

Peer to Patent discussed in Information Week article about Patent Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| exerpt from article: "...With patent reform legislation stalled in Congress
| and the courts clogged with cases, Peer-to-Patent’s stringent, open patent
| examination process is something Yahoo and other companies, particularly
| those engaged in Internet-based businesses, think is sorely needed. They’re
| concerned about patents being issued for overly broad or obvious inventions,
| ones that overlap with previous patents, or ones that represent technologies
| already in common use.
|
| And they’re particularly worried about questionable patents in the hands of
| so-called patent trolls, companies that build businesses around obtaining
| patents and suing others to extract licensing fees..."
`----

http://cairns.typepad.com/peertopatent/2008/10/peer-to-patent.html

Where's the innovation? This is corruption, not innovation.

`----

http://www.stallman.org/archives/2008-jul-oct.html#24%20September%202008%20%28Patent%20Office%20on%20Strike%29