[News] Education Looking Into Free Software; Survey Studies Software Freedom

Education IT chiefs debate open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The concept of open source software seems so firmly entrenched in higher
| education that it comes as almost a shock to realize there's actually a
| debate over it. But debate there was, civilized and trenchant, this week
| during the annual Educause conference on high technology in higher education
| in the US.
|
| "It's really tough to take [commercial software] systems built for a
| corporate world and stick them into an education world," said Bradley
| Wheeler, vice president for IT and CIO at Indiana University, adding that one
| recent book estimated education globally would spent US$5.5 billion
| installing ERP, much of it in modifying commercial software to meet
| institutional needs. "We spend so much money trying to hard fit those things
| in."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1693114264;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

"Take Freedom Open Source Survey To Help Drive Open Source Direction"

,----[ Quote ]
| For enterprise IT organizations and independent software vendors (ISVs), open
| source software eliminates high up-front license fees, provides transparent
| access to code, and delivers high-quality capabilities honed by many
| intelligent minds focusing on a problem.
`----

http://www.pr-inside.com/take-freedom-open-source-survey-to-r894027.htm

Recent:

Outsourcing, Open Source and Budget Cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, although enterprise, license-based learning management platforms
| continue to dominate the higher education landscape (56.8 percent use
| Blackboard, down from 66.3 percent last year), the potential for increasing
| open source adoption remains.
`----

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/10/29/computing

Open Source Making the Grade in Higher Education

,----[ Quote ]
| Burgeoning success for open source eLearning and a string of major university
| wins for a commercial vendor point to a trend.
|
| Open source and higher education have a long and storied history. After all,
| BSD Unix originally came from the University of California at Berkeley, and
| Linux itself was created while Linus Torvalds was a student at the University
| of Helsinki.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3749716/Open+Source+Making+the+Grade+in+Higher+Education.htm
http://tinyurl.com/59t7jv

Chennai firm to sign pact with Anna University

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/common/news_article.php?leftnm=8&subLeft=1&chklogin=N&autono=322409&tab=r