[News] Free/Open Source Businesses Cross Milestones

Magento Reaches 500,000+ Downloads

,----[ Quote ]
| Magento continues to grow at a staggering pace and its flexibility,
| scalability and value have brought it to the Half a Million download mark.
| The momentum of Magento continues in other ways as well, with new extensions
| being added to Magento Connect, the continued growth of the community and
| impressive sites launching every day.
`----

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/magento-reaches-500000-downloads-1/

Open Source Marketing Metrics - From 0 to 700 Customers in One Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Converting web visitors into paying customers remains more of an art than
| science. What we have proven is that for enterprise software, it is possible
| to attract a large number of paying customers in a short time using an open
| source channel.
`----

http://java.dzone.com/articles/open-source-marketing-metrics-

Recent:

Credit crunch moves business to adopt open source

,----[ Quote ]
| “The world is undergoing serious economic turbulence, but at a time when
| businesses know they simply cannot terminate IT projects, open source
| software providers the perfect solution,” claimed John Powell, Alfresco chief
| executive.
|
| He said that with open source, public and private sector companies resisted
| the demands of proprietary vendors, created a flexible infrastructure as well
| as lower IT spend.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/607074/credit-crunch-moves-business-to-adopt-open-source

Free and open source software lets you laugh in the face of recession

,----[ Quote ]
| As the economy tips into recession, there's never been a better time to take
| advantage of free and open source software (FOSS). It's better than
| proprietary software, and it won't cost a penny
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/oct/22/software-open-source-linux-ubuntu

Economics of open source remains an academic challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| When I’m looking for open source economic theories my go-to guy is Bruce
| Perens, who has written eloquently on the subject. But he’s not an academic
| economist. Economists don’t usually hand out their top awards to computer
| programmers.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2991

Open sauce Alfresco has its best ever quarter

,----[ Quote ]
| ALFRESCO SOFTWARE announced its strongest ever quarterly financial results
| today, reporting that customer interest has increased during the global
| economic downturn as organisations turn to more cost effective and scalable
| open source software products.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/13/open-sauce-alfresco-best-ever

Zenoss Announces Record Quarterly Customer Growth amid Struggling Economy

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial open source IT management firm grows 85 percent quarter over
| quarter
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10910.html

Compiere Closes Third Quarter with Continued Global Expansion and 195 Percent
Growth

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/compiere-closes-third-quarter-continued/story.aspx?guid=%7B616CBB6A-2AAA-4E4E-8155-680FDE4B68E5%7D&dist=