Re: Perhaps it is time to start a moderated group?

> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Saturday 01 November 2008 16:52 : \____
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> ____/ Tattoo Vampire on Saturday 01 November 2008 14:33 : \____

>>> I'm in favour. Let's do this. :-)
>>>
>> A moderated advocacy group? Really?
>
> Counter arguments are one thing. Personal attacks, which were
> directed at you as well, are another.

Establishing the rules for moderation, and not crossing the line due to
personal conflicts is a difficult proposition though. My opinion of who
is or isn't a Troll may be different to others. People sometimes have a
disagreement and insult each other; have bad days; post OT funnies, and
so on. Should they be banned?

There are some obvious Trolls with absolutely nothing to contribute ...
such as DooFuS; Dopez; Hardon; Scott "shitstick Nudds" Douglas; flatty;
and creepy stalkers like Smith, but I'm still on the fence with Fuddie,
who does (or used to) at least try to be reasonable. Recently, he seems
to have gone completely off the deep end though - his weaseling FUD has
become ridiculous, as he sprints to defend the Vole from every possible
criticism in the most desperate and pathetic way. It's embarrassing. It
is almost as pathetic as watching Jeff Waugh come running to his pal de
Icaza's rescue every time someone points out what a Microsoft fanboy he
is (heck, de Icaza admits that himself).

Then again, some people seem to enjoy jousting with the Trolls. As much
as I don't want to read a single putrid word it, should we deny others?

Moderation in a technical group is one thing, but to moderate a group
whose entire purpose is debate is rather silly, IMHO.

And remember, it is only because the Trolls/shills/kooks get to let off
steam in COLA that the other Linux groups don't bear the brunt of their
frustration. Housing the Trolls is COLA's unwritten responsibility.

Personally, I'd love to see the Trolls FOAD in a ditch somewhere, but I
don't own COLA, so it's not up to me, and for the sake of others whom I
don't speak for - I think we should just leave things as they are.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 01:31:05 up 22 days, 11:26,  3 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.08, 0.06