[News] [Rival] Vista 7 Breached, Already Open for Hijackers

Microsoft issues security patch for unreleased software

,----[ Quote ]
| "A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated
| remote attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain
| control over it," the security update says.
|
| The more than 6,000 attendees who will be walking away from the sold-out
| event with the Windows 7 operating system software in hand could have been
| vulnerable to an attacker exploiting the security hole.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10076559-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Windows: Unsafe at Any Speed, Part Deux

,----[ Quote ]
| I like the convenience-store analogy. But when a 7-Eleven gets robbed,
| everyone who shops there doesn't end up getting his wallet lifted. When
| there's a critical Windows flaw like the one they patched last week, everyone
| is vulnerable. We need more than security cameras here, bub.
|
| On the other hand, using Microsoft products is a lot like eating a microwaved
| burrito. It probably won't kill you, but you don't hear many people boasting
| about how great it tastes. Certainly not in Cringeville, where the Mac OS and
| various flavors of Linux own the hearts and minds of most.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/153048/windows_unsafe_at_any_speed_part_deux.html

Last week:

Microsoft RPC exploit could be a packaged deal

,----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft has labeled Thursday's emergency patch MS08-067 as "critical"
| and provided a rare out-of-cycle fix because its exploit could easily be used
| as worm on a compromised network, one security researcher doesn't think it
| will happen that way.
|
| "It's likely we're going to see this packaged with some other attack." said
| Ben Greenbaum, senior research manager at Symantec. "A Web-based attack, for
| example. We're looking out for are exploits of this being bundled with
| client-side exploits or Trojans so that the worm can get past corporate
| firewalls and get behind that firewall into the internal network."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10074269-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Trojan attacks Microsoft's emergency patch vuln

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/24/trojan_exploits_wormable_microsoft_flaw/