[News] Lenovo is Back to Installing GNU/Linux (Ballnux) on Notebooks

Lenovo targets new netbook at students

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo this week unveiled a netbook PC designed to be the first mobile PC for
| K-12 students and a "secondary device" for college students.
|
| Netbooks are smaller, lighter, and much less expensive than full-blown
| notebook PCs. The Lenovo IdeaPad S10e gives institutions the option of using
| the latest version of Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop instead of
| Windows XP or XP Pro2, and the opportunity to dress the slate-gray finish in
| the school's official colors.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/103008-lenovo-student-netbook.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Lenovo Unveils Netbook For Education Market

,----[ Quote ]
| The system comes with an Intel Atom processor and is available with either
| Microsoft Windows XP Home edition or Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop.
| The PC is available with either a 4-GB solid-state drive or 160-GB hard disk
| drive, and can connect to the Internet through a wired Ethernet or wireless
| Wi-Fi connection. The system also supports Bluetooth wireless for connecting
| to peripheral devices.
|
| The IdeaPad S10e is scheduled to be available at the end of November. Pricing
| was not disclosed.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211601149

Lenovo Brings "e" Education Netbook PC to the Classroom and Campus

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Lenovo-Brings-e-Education-Netbook/story.aspx?guid=%7B8B0DEA00-A519-4120-86D8-557F36520E0F%7D

Novell Turns Linux Desktop Setback Into Victory

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, those Lenovo IdeaPad Netbooks — with Novell SUSE Linux as an option —
| finally surfaced this week. Positioned for kids and the education market, the
| Lenovo Netbooks accelerate the trend toward smaller, low-cost sub-notebooks.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/29/novell-turns-linux-desktop-setback-into-victory/

Lenovo Unveils Hardware Duo: Desktop and Netbook

,----[ Quot ]
| Lenovo is also following the recent trend of PC makers churning out
| mini-laptops with the unveiling of its IdeaPad S10e netbook. The company
| noted that the ultra-portable is designed for students in K-12, as well as
| those in college. Weighing in at less than 3 pounds, the netbook runs
| Microsoft Windows XP Home or SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop from Novell.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/152986/lenovo_new_hardware.html?tk=rss_news

Recent:

Lenovo Unveils Netbook For Education Market

,----[ Quote ]
| The system comes with an Intel Atom processor and is available with either
| Microsoft Windows XP Home edition or Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop.
| The PC is available with either a 4-GB solid-state drive or 160-GB hard disk
| drive, and can connect to the Internet through a wired Ethernet or wireless
| Wi-Fi connection. The system also supports Bluetooth wireless for connecting
| to peripheral devices.
|
| The IdeaPad S10e is scheduled to be available at the end of November. Pricing
| was not disclosed.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211601149

Lenovo Rebrands SplashTop As "QuickStart"

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo has announced this morning that they will begin shipping
| SplashTop-enabled netbooks. Next month Lenovo will be shipping "QuickStart"
| (just their re-branded version of SplashTop) on their new Atom-powered
| IdeaPad S10e. The press release can be read on the Market Wire.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjgxOA

Linux-Based Instant-On Trend Spreads Out

,----[ Quote ]
| SplashTop is an embedded Linux operating system that is able to execute
| instant-on by being very lightweight. The SplashTop marketing mantra is "zero
| to Internet in seconds," and the operating system comfortably coexists with
| both Windows and other Linux distros on many new portable computers.
|
| In the Lenovo netbook, model S10e, the SplashTop functionality will be
| branded as "Quick Start." I'm not going to be surprised to see Instant-On
| arrive on nearly all Windows- and Linux-based portable computers, and not
| just netbooks. This piece in The New York Times agrees that Instant-On will
| end up fundamentally changing how people think about using their portable
| computers.
`----

http://ostatic.com/175929-blog/linux-based-instant-on-trend-spreads-out

The Lenovo S10 Netbook is here, count me in

,----[ Quote ]
| The S10 is here, I ordered one yesterday and I'm psyched. The IdeaPad S10 is
| Lenovo's just-released entry in the Netbook market. "Netbook" is a new term
| that's applied to cheap small laptops that run either Windows XP Home Edition
| or Linux. No Vista or OS X here (neither is cheap).
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-10062500-33.html

Lenovo Confirms It's Looking At IBM's 'Microsoft-Free' Client

,----[ Quote ]
| Though nothing is final, Lenovo's participation in the project could vastly
| increase its reach and pose a significant threat to Microsoft's dominance of
| the desktop PC market.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209904400
http://tinyurl.com/696935

Lenovo In Talks To Join IBM's 'Microsoft-Free' Program, Sources Say

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft-free software package features IBM's Lotus Notes and Lotus
| Symphony e-mail and desktop productivity suites, running on versions of
| Linux.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209903851

Lenovo’s September Surprise: Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Novell SuSE Linux seem to be the safe bets, The
| VAR Guy speculates. But our resident blogger wonders if Canonical’s Ubuntu
| Linux will somehow wrestle its way onto Lenovo’s server systems.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/08/18/lenovos-september-surprise-servers/

Lenovo's S10 Netbook Listed - Starts at just US$429

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo is expected to also release a Linux version of its netbook, which,
| once again, will not be marketed in the US, as we already noted in one of our

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Lenovo-039-s-S10-Netbook-Listed-92084.shtml

Lenovo Launching Linux Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| In an email to The VAR Guy, Lenovo Senior VP J. Scott Di Valerio describes
| the PC giant’s evolving Linux strategy, including plans for so-called
| NetBooks that will launch in October. Here’s a look at what Di Valerio had to
| say.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/09/11/lenovo-launching-linux-netbooks/

  End of signed message