[News] An Overview of GNU/Linux Media Centres and Backup Applications

Using Your Linux Computer As A Media Center (Part 1)

,----[ Quote ]
| While a full Linux distro comes in a size of up to 700MB, the ISO of GeeXboX
| is only 9MB and it comes with a complete and automatic hardware detection,
| thus does not require any drivers to be added. It supports playback of nearly
| any kind of audio/video and image files and all known codecs and containers
| are shipped in, allowing playing them through various physical supports,
| either CD, DVD, HDD, LAN or internet.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/using-your-linux-computer-as-a-media-center-part-1/

Some Linux backup utilities

,----[ Quote ]
| For some years I’ve been backing up my various Linux-based servers, websites
| etc using a custom script which makes incremental tar-based backups of key
| directory hierarchies, dumps some MySQL databases, and then copies the lot to
| a remote machine using scp or rsync. We run this each night using cron. It’s
| worked well, but it’s becoming rather spaghetti-like since we run some
| version of it on several machines, copying stuff to several other machines.
| And the process of pruning old backups to keep disk usage under control at
| both the sources and the destinations is somewhat haphazard.
`----

http://www.statusq.org/archives/2008/10/26/2045/

Recent:

Mythbuntu Linux Media Center

,----[ Quote ]
| Mythbuntu uses the XFCE4 desktop. All unnecessary applications such as
| OpenOffice, Evolution, and a full Gnome desktop are not installed for a
| Mythbuntu installation. At any time, a user may choose to install
| ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, or xubuntu-desktop and add a full desktop
| onto their installation. This is done via the Mythbuntu Control Centre.
`----

http://linuxlandit.blogspot.com/2008/03/mythbuntu-linux-media-center.html

Related:

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

Linux Media Center PCs Review Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxMCE vs. MythTV. LinuxMCE is the most amazing thing to come out of the
| multimedia world on any platform, period. But try finding an OEM carrier that
| will sell this amazing product to you, pre-installed. You won't find many.
|
| While the big box stores choose to sell the ever-lame Windows MCE, one
| provider had the guts to step into the ring and truly provide us with a
| viable Linux media appliance suitable for our living rooms. MythTV, while not
| as 'flash-bang-pretty' as LinuxMCE, has been around long enough to find
| itself in the position of being a solid, long-term project with some
| fantastic user and developer support.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2664

Media Portal Xface Skin Version 1.0 | Competition for Vista MCE?

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing about open source software: you never know how people will improve
| it. Take Media Portal for instance. I have tried it but ultimately went with
| BeyondTV to watch TV on my computer. That, however, might change though with
| the release of Xface Skin Version 1.0.
`----

http://www.floppyhead.com/2007/09/29/media-portal-xface-skin-version-10-competition-for-vista-mce/

Linux media center distro adds flashy features

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxMCE appears to comprise a set of add-ons -- such as the MythTV DVR
| (digital video recorder), for example -- that sit on top of Kubuntu, the
| version of Ubuntu that uses KDE (K desktop environment). It adds numerous
| fancy features, including the optional alpha-blended UI (user interface)
| shown in the screenshots below.

LinuxMCE 0704 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| "LinuxMCE 0704 is a major improvement over the original 1.0 release.
| According to a poll, 86% now report LinuxMCE installs and starts up without
| problems, versus 27% with the original release.
`----

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Software/LinuxMCE-0704-Released.html

LinuxMCE 1.1 Released -- Now Runs KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| There's also word that LinuxMCE, since it works so well with the
| KDE desktop environment, that the guys at the KDE project are
| seriously considering integrating LinuxMCE into their upcoming
| 4.0 release. Now this is HUGE! If combined in the KDE 4.0 release,
| LinuxMCE + Kubuntu would be a free, open-source competitor/aternative
| to Windows Vista Ultimate.
`----

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3891/linuxmce_1_1

Mythbuntu 7.10 Public Alpha 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Today marks the release for the third Mythbuntu alpha image.  With this
| release, we introduce an AMD64 built image as well a standard x86 build.
| Should there be enough demand for a PPC build, we will do one of this for the
| next alpha.
`----

http://www.mythbuntu.org/node/44

Mythbuntu 7.10 Public Alpha 2