[News] Linux Powers Gaming Console, Added to Console servers

Opening the Gaming Gadget

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to handheld gaming, the word "open" can be a relative term.
| Closed devices like the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP rule in popularity. But
| some gamers like to crack these machines open and uses their own homebrewed
| wares. Beyond that, some emerging devices are Linux-based from the ground up.
| A few are even designed so that buyers build them themselves.
|
| [...]
|
| The Linux OS-based Wiz is equipped games and the promise of new games
| released every month. The inventory includes: "Asura Cross Wired," a fighting
| action game; "Her Knights," an action game; "Myride," a shooter
| challenge; "BankGP," another shooter; "BoomShine2X," a psychedelic puzzle
| challenge; "Snake on Dope," a snake game that vibrates the device as the
| snake grows larger; "Space Varments," an alien battle game played on the
| touch screen; and "Blingo2008," a modified "Slingo"-based bingo derivative.

Console servers ship with open-source UPS tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Opengear is shipping several open-source uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
| monitoring tools in its uClinux-based remote access equipment. In a
| partnership with Eaton Corp., Opengear is offering its console servers
| (pictured) with preintegrated Eaton tools derived from the open-source
| Network UPS Tools (NUT) project, says the company.

Days ago:

Linux Gaming Console Coming in November

,----[ Quote ]
| Envizions Computer Entertainment announced recently that the Linux-based EVO
| gaming console will be available for sale November 18.
|
| There have been dedicated gaming consoles that are able to run Linux, namely
| the PS3. In these cases, Linux made the console function more as a home
| computer than a gaming rig. The EVO system uses Linux to power the games.
`----

http://ostatic.com/175717-blog/linux-gaming-console-coming-in-november

EVO Smart Console: Playstation Competition?

,----[ Quote ]
| With its EVO Smart Console, Envizions Computer Entertainment Corporation out
| of Atlanta, Georgia, has brought a Linux-based console to market that should
| appeal to both gamers and multimedia fans alike.
|
| Now in prototype, it is initially targeted at enthusiasts, developers and
| early adopters. It is set to conquer the mass market by next year. The EVO
| Smart Console runs on the company’s Fedora 8 compatible Mirrors Evolution
| platform. The device should reach the market at about $250 through a refund
| system, with Windows for an additional $100. its hardware consists of a
| water-cooled 64-bit Athlon Quadcore 64x2 CPU running at 2.9 GHz and an ATI HD
| 3200 graphics card. The console supports HD standards 1080i and 1080p,
| includes 2 Gbytes RAM, and runs a 120-Gbyte hard drive. The box supports the
| H.264 VC1 and MPEG2 multimedia codecs and emits video signals as DVI and
| HDMI.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/evo_smart_console_playstation_competition

Recent:

Pandora project demoed on video, shows off hardware, Linux, and Quake 2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's pretty exciting stuff if you're a homebrew fan (and we know you are),
| featuring demos of the device smoothly running emulators like PicoDrive,
| PSNES, booting up a build of Linux, and even getting its Quake 2 on (at high
| frame rates and looking crystal clear).
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/pandora-project-demoed-on-video-shows-off-hardware-linux-and/

Related:

Hands-on with GamePark's GP2X F-200

,----[ Quote ]
| Confessions up front: we're pretty hot for any device that sports some sort
| of console emulator, so when faced with GamePark Holding's GP2X, which
| currently boasts of SNES, NES, Genesis, MAME and quite a few other gems,
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/01/hands-on-with-gameparks-gp2x-f-200/

Linux on PS3 plays in DARPA Urban Challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| Axion Racing tapped Linux and other open-source software to help navigate its
| driverless "Spirit" car in last week's DARPA Urban Challenge.

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html