[News] [Rival] Microsoft Neglects Bad Vista, GNU/Linux Grows

Embattled Vista set to ride into the sunset

,----[ Quote ]
| Otherwise, despite the fact that Windows's toughest challengers - Linux and
| Apple Inc. - remain bit players in the operating system game, Microsoft risks
| suffering in the arena of public perception, again.
`----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081027.RMICROSOFT27/TPStory/Business

Microsoft bailing on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| It is a commonly known truth that since Vista was launched, alternative
| operating systems from the likes of Apple and Linux are doing better than
| ever.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/blogs/2008/10/27/microsoft-bailing-on-vista/

Windows Vista No Longer Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| Make no mistake: Microsoft has moved beyond Windows Vista, which will become
| all too apparent during this week's Professional Developer Conference.
| Windows 7 is the future, and in many ways it's the present, too.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/windows_vista_no_longer_matters.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Vista 7. Yay! More of the same rubbish. Windows is in very serious trouble and
a rename won't 'fix' it.

Recent:

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

Microsoft Takes Heat for Double Talk on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has had some trouble explaining these alleged contradictions; with,
| for example, Nash calling Windows 7 both a "significant" and "evolutionary"
| advancement. Then Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer declared at Gartner's annual
| Symposium ITxpo in Orlando, Fla., that, "Windows 7 is Windows Vista with
| cleanup in user interface [and] improvements in performance."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/152511/microsoft_windows_7.html?tk=rss_news

Ballmer: Microsoft Unlikely To Top Vista's 'Success'

,----[ Quote ]
| Said Ballmer, at an industry confab in Brazil last week: "We're not going to
| have products that are much more successful than Vista has been."
|
| Say what? Hang on a sec, would you please, Dear Reader.
|
| Thanks -- I'm back. I just had to go dump a few thousand Microsoft shares.
| [Disclosure: I don't really own Microsoft shares, but if I did ...]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/10/ballmer_microso.html

Related:

Blog: Should Microsoft Throw Away Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Throw Vista away. That's what many have now argued that Microsoft should do.
| Give it a dignified resting place, as a stepping-stone OS, and come up with a
| replacement that's more sensible for enterprise IT. There is historical
| precedent in the consumer OS space for such a move; look at Windows ME and
| how it became a footnote in Microsoft history.
|
| "Microsoft should toss Vista in the trash, as the company did with Windows
| Millennium eight years ago, then issue a Windows XP Second Edition (as it did
| with Windows 98 eight years ago) that capitalizes on some of Vista's key
| benefits.
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/index.php/id;1952707477

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell.
|
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP."
|
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers.
`----

http://origin.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_8417811?nclick_check=1

Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-knew-vista-shortcoming-prior/story.aspx?guid=%7B75BE59C7%2DEFA1%2D48B5%2DB4A4%2D90F5E01A52A0%7D&siteid=yhoof

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix

Has Vista lost all credibility?

http://apcmag.com/8344/has_vista_lost_all_credibility

Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
| operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
| from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
| began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
|                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Vista.
| ^^^^^
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/01/will_windows_vi.html

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

| Lenovo.

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579

Interesting comment from CompUSA

,----[ Quote ]
| Every single one of them he said was returned from consumers... and that they
| (CompUSA) couldn't ship them back. As he heard, Microsoft wasn't giving
| credit back for unsold or returned copies... and didn't want the returned
| figures made public... He wouldn't say that every single one of them
| exchanged for a copy of Xp, he didn't know if that was true. So, I asked how
| many boxes did they have. Same glare, followed with a "You do not want to
| know" type statement.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/12/interesting-comment-from-compusa.html

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed