[News] Gutenprint Brings Far More Extensive Hardware Support to Linux

Gutenprint 5.2.1 drivers for Linux and Mac OS X improve printer support

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gutenprint project has released version 5.2.1 of its printer driver
| collection for Linux and Mac OS X. Gutenprint was formerly known as
| Gimp-Print. The project provides support for a wide range of different
| manufacturers. According to the rather detailed release notes, the total
| number of printers supported by Gutenprint 5.2.1 is 1400. This is 655 more
| devices than the previous 5.1 release, although 468 of those are black and
| white laser printers which are actually handled by a new PostScript driver.
| The list also does include printers from around the world, some of which are
| rare in the UK.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/117983

Why Linux Is Popular with Hardware Companies and Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Two trends in the computer industry set the stage for the growing popularity
| of UNIX and Linux. First, advances in hardware technology created the need
| for an operating system that could take advantage of available hardware
| power. In the mid-1970s, minicomputers began challenging the large mainframe
| computers because, in many applications, minicomputers could perform the same
| functions less expensively. More recently, powerful 64-bit processor chips,
| plentiful and inexpensive memory, and lower-priced hard disk storage have
| allowed hardware companies to install multiuser operating systems on desktop
| computers.
`----

http://computingtech.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-linux-is-popular-with-hardware.html

Recent:

You've CUPSed a long way, baby.

,----[ Quote ]
| He went on his way and I plugged in the usb cable. Getting ready to go into
| the menu to configure the thing a notification thinger pops up and told me
| the printer was ready. It didn't even ask me a question. NOT A THING.
`----

http://stompbox.typepad.com/blog/2008/08/youve-cupsed-a.html

Related:

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69