Re: A whole new class of PC made possible by Linux

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:26:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

<snip>

> Some Windows sub-notebooks actually come with StarOffice. But... I'm not
> sure Microsoft is too thrilled about it. It harms their most profitable
> monopoly.

Open Office is standard on the EeePC and the Asus Aspire One, I have both
units.

One *amazing thing* is that OO on either Netbook, boots as fast as it
does on any quad core PC I've seen, which is about 2 seconds!

How the hell can it be so fast on an embedded 900Mhz Celeron ?

I guess it has to be Linux and SSD ?

The Linux Netbooks come with *everything* most people would ever need,
which is one reason that they are selling so FAST.

I was in a large retail store about 3 months ago, and a customer noticed
me reviewing the Netbooks. He asked me 'what one should I buy, the Linux
or the Windows version?"

I asked him what he wanted to do, and he replied:-
1) Web browsing
2) Word processing
3) Email

I suggested that the Linux version would do nicely and was over $100
cheaper than the slug known as XP.

He left the store smiling, a Linux Netbook under his arm and over $100
better off. He also got the last Linux Acer Aspire One in the store.

I also gave him my card, and said to call me if he had any problems,
however he hasn't phoned once. This is a sign that Windows users have no
problems using the Linux Netbooks, all of which have a simple, clear GUI
interface especially designed for such people.