[News] Microsoft Promotes GNU/Linux with Recent Crackdowns and Insults

How Anti-Piracy Efforts Benefit Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine you, as a happy user of standard, proprietary software, were told
| that you should use “free” software, so that you would have the freedom to
| use and share your software however you wanted. This argument would not
| convince many people on its own. It would sounds like some niche interest in
| seeing the source code or something. Today, though, this argument holds a lot
| more water with people. What do we have to thank for this? Aggressive
| anti-piracy measures.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/10/21/how-anti-piracy-efforts-benefit-free-software/

Microsoft's global anti-user day

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Microsoft announced something they called "Global Anti-Piracy
| Day".
|
| Software companies like Microsoft often refer to copying they don't approve
| of as "piracy." They suggest that such copying is ethically equivalent to
| murder and robbery. Even these far-fetched analogies are not enough for
| Microsoft, who in their press release yesterday updated the comparison to
| draw a connection between such copying and organized crime: "There is growing
| evidence that highly organized, transnational criminal organizations and
| networks are involved in the counterfeiting of software..."
|
| Even the US Senate, while recently considering legislation addressing
| unauthorized copying, had the sense to strike the term "piracy" from its
| text. You know the term is over-the-top when people receiving hundreds of
| thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the entertainment
| industry still feel shy about using it.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/global-anti-user-day

Recent:

Microsoft accused of hacking in piracy clampdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Across China thousands of computer screens are turning dark. The reason is a
| piece of software from a US firm.
|
| Software giant Microsoft is deactivating unauthorised copies of its Windows
| operating system, in a nation where 82% of all software is pirated – even if
| many end users do not know it.
`----

http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/electronic-threats/dn15009-microsoft-accused-of-hacking-in-piracy-clampdown.html

Chinese fume at Microsoft anti-piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| China's vocal bloggers seemed stunned that their computers seemed to have
| phoned Microsoft for the anti-piracy tool without asking.
|
| "The computer is mine", one angry blogger penned, "Microsoft has no right to
| control my hardware without my agreement", the poor fool thought.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/22/chinese-fume-microsoft-anti

Microsoft sued in China for black screen of death

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/10/22/china_fury_microsoft_wga/