[News] Free Software Beneficial to Security, Windows Under Attack

Java, Security, and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that a significant number of JSRs are being developed as open source
| projects, I thought it would be interesting to explore the implications of
| this for security.
|
| First, let's start with the basics. Security is fundamental to the Java
| platform - it's built in to the Java Language and the Java Virtual Machine
| specifications.
`----

http://java.sys-con.com/node/722015/print

SmoothWall Simplifies Open Source Security

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source security software can be very effective at keeping the bad guys
| off your network, but it can also be hard to configure and time consuming to
| keep patched and up to date. That’s the reason for the popularity among
| network administrators of hardware appliances such the Astaro’s Security
| Gateway — which we took a look at in a previous article — that integrate a
| number of applications under a single GUI and provide an automated patching
| and updating system.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3780321

Meanwhile, Windows machines are silently being hijacked.

Trojan attacks Microsoft's emergency patch vuln

,----[ Quote ]
| A day after Microsoft released an emergency patch for a critical flaw that
| could allow self-replicating attacks, researchers have identified a nasty
| trojan that attempts to exploit the vulnerability.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/24/trojan_exploits_wormable_microsoft_flaw/

Recent:

Microsoft rushes out emergency Windows update

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/23/windows_emergency_update/