Re: [News] ARM Officially Enter Sub-notebooks Market with GNU/Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] ARM Officially Enter Sub-notebooks Market with GNU/Linux
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:28:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> ARM Cortex-based netbooks due soon
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| While Microsoft has not produced an ARM-compatible version of its mainstream
>| Windows operating system, the chip architecture is supported by Windows CE,
>| multiple Linux distributions and a version of Apple's OS X.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39527261,00.htm
>
> Windows XP is essentially locked out. Good. Good riddance.

Interesting conundrum for MS here... do they go back to NT5.1
maintenance, and try to port NT5.1 to ARM, or do they stick with wince
for ARM?

In any case, I've felt for some time that the market is wide open for
more ARM-based ultra-portable PCs.  I still wonder just why the OLPC
didn't go for ARM, since power management was at the root of its
requirements.

ARM is the dominant player in mobility, of course, so Intel would surely
like to push into that space with their own arch, but even so...

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |