[News] Choice and Customisation as Free Software Selling Points

Open source - it's all about choice

,----[ Quote ]
| The same thing happens in the world of technology. It's called the Open
| Source movement, and it's a growing influence on the way we all use
| computers.
|
| The internet has helped shape this community and it has had nearly 30 years
| to mature. Its foundation was in the counter culture of the late sixties and
| seventies in American colleges such as MIT.
|
| If there was a computer, then people would play around to see what was
| possible. If they produced something clever they would share it.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4735216a28.html

10 Fun Firefox Add-ons

,----[ Quote ]
| We all know that Firefox has hundreds of great add-ons to enhance our web
| browsing experience. In fact, there's always an article that lists some of
| the best Firefox add-ons or extensions. Like, 50 Best Firefox Extensions for
| Power Surfing, 30 Best Firefox add-ons, 10 Best Firefox Addons for Designers,
| 10 Killer Firefox Extensions That You Probably Don't Know About, and 15
| Amazing Firefox Extensions for Porn Surfers. Okay, the last one is a joke.
|
| Since there are already plenty of lists out there that features some of the
| most essential add-ons, I'm left with sharing to you all this collection of
| fun Firefox add-ons. So what exactly is a fun add-on? --It is an add-on
| that's simply made for entertainment purposes.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/10/10-fun-firefox-add-ons.html

Recent:

Pimp your Ubuntu desktop in 7 easy steps!

,----[ Quote ]
| This is just the tip of the iceberg; there are countless ways to mod Ubuntu -
| from Grub  bootloader themes to GDM, you'll find loads of great stuff over at
| these sites:
| -Gnome Look - Eyecandy for your Gnome Desktop
| -Gnome Art - Another great site
| -or if you're looking for that complete Mac OS X look, check out this
| tutorial.
`----

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/tuxgeek/2008/09/08/pimp-your-gnome-in-7-steps/

10 Beautiful Themes for Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

,----[ Quote ]
| The upcoming release of Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) is highly anticipated not
| only for the system enhancements it will likely get, but also for its new
| default theme. The visual refresh is a long time coming, so I expect the
| Ubuntu artwork team is cooking something good for all of us.
|
| The October release date of Ubuntu 8.10 is fast approaching, yet until now,
| we don’t know exactly what the finished product will look like. I don’t want
| to make any guesses, instead, I decided to collect 10 beautiful existing GTK
| 2.x themes that I think can be further improved or altered and be used as the
| default desktop theme for Intrepid Ibex. Enjoy!
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/10-beautiful-themes-for-ubuntu-intrepid.html

10 Most Beautiful Plasma Themes for KDE 4 Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest series of the K Desktop Environment now utilizes Plasma, a new
| desktop and panel user interface tool that aims for a more functional,
| user-friendly, and sleek KDE desktop. Plasma also supports Dashboard-like
| widgets called plasmoids.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/10-most-beautiful-plasma-themes-for-kde.html

20 beautiful dark themes for Gnome and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Some weeks ago, I shown you a list of 30 themes for enhancing your Gnome
| desktop. Many readers loved the dark themes from this list, so here’s a new
| list of 20 dark and absolutely beautiful themes for your Gnome desktop.
`----

http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/featured/20-beautiful-dark-themes-for-gnome-and-ubuntu-418

4 Linux Distros Which Look Like Mac OS X

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.internetling.com/2008/08/18/4-linux-distros-which-look-like-mac-os-x/