[News] EVO Smart Console Runs GNU/Linux

EVO Smart Console: Playstation Competition?

,----[ Quote ]
| With its EVO Smart Console, Envizions Computer Entertainment Corporation out
| of Atlanta, Georgia, has brought a Linux-based console to market that should
| appeal to both gamers and multimedia fans alike.
|
| Now in prototype, it is initially targeted at enthusiasts, developers and
| early adopters. It is set to conquer the mass market by next year. The EVO
| Smart Console runs on the company’s Fedora 8 compatible Mirrors Evolution
| platform. The device should reach the market at about $250 through a refund
| system, with Windows for an additional $100. its hardware consists of a
| water-cooled 64-bit Athlon Quadcore 64x2 CPU running at 2.9 GHz and an ATI HD
| 3200 graphics card. The console supports HD standards 1080i and 1080p,
| includes 2 Gbytes RAM, and runs a 120-Gbyte hard drive. The box supports the
| H.264 VC1 and MPEG2 multimedia codecs and emits video signals as DVI and
| HDMI.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/evo_smart_console_playstation_competition

Recent:

Pandora project demoed on video, shows off hardware, Linux, and Quake 2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's pretty exciting stuff if you're a homebrew fan (and we know you are),
| featuring demos of the device smoothly running emulators like PicoDrive,
| PSNES, booting up a build of Linux, and even getting its Quake 2 on (at high
| frame rates and looking crystal clear).
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/pandora-project-demoed-on-video-shows-off-hardware-linux-and/

Related:

Hands-on with GamePark's GP2X F-200

,----[ Quote ]
| Confessions up front: we're pretty hot for any device that sports some sort
| of console emulator, so when faced with GamePark Holding's GP2X, which
| currently boasts of SNES, NES, Genesis, MAME and quite a few other gems,
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/01/hands-on-with-gameparks-gp2x-f-200/

Linux on PS3 plays in DARPA Urban Challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| Axion Racing tapped Linux and other open-source software to help navigate its
| driverless "Spirit" car in last week's DARPA Urban Challenge.

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html