[News] The Art of Switching People from Microsoft to Freedom (Linux)

Introducing Open Source to the World - Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest things I've seen that powers the resistance of people to
| using Linux is the desire to stick with what's familiar.  We are a people who
| naturally do not like to change, and thus we tend to resist it whenever
| possible, except at times when change is necessary.  That's covered in more
| detail in another article, so I'll leave it at that here.
|
| Given that we're naturally inclined to stick with the familiar, we have to
| understand this fact and act accordingly when convincing someone to switch to
| Linux (or BSD, depending on the individual).  One of the first things I've
| learned is never throw Linux on someone's machine and then just walk away.
| Especially if it's someone who's just switching from Windows due to major
| viruses or other issues common to Windows.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=478

10 reasons for switching to a different Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| You’ve been using the same Linux distribution for years now, but something
| has been eating at the back of your brain… some zombie process trying to tell
| you to switch to a different flavor of your favorite open source operating
| system. You can’t put your finger on it, but it’s there. Some users settle on
| the first distribution they find and never leave it. Others seem to switch
| distributions as often as they switch desktop wallpaper. But most Linux users
| go through one (or two or three) distributions before they finally settle on
| that one that perfectly fits the bill. That’s where this article comes in:
| How do you know when you’re ready to switch to a different distribution?
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=429

Windows has no 'flavours'. How boring a life it must be.

Related:

More distros = more choice

,----[ Quote ]
`----