[News] India's Largest Political Party Embraces Free Software

Indian political party turns to FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is India's largest political party, with around
| 20 million Ordinary Members and about 4 million Active Members. In June, BJP
| announced its goal to become one of the most high-tech political parties in
| the next two years, and free and open source software (FOSS) will play an
| essential role in this project.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/150549

Voting Candidates On Technology Issues

,----[ Quote ]
| This may be the single most important US Presidential election in our
| lifetime. While there are other very pressing and more important issues to
| help you make a decision in choosing a candidate; I think it is important to
| look at where each candidate stands in terms of technology, which most of the
| readers in this site is passionate about. It would be better if we could have
| their views on open source more specifically, unfortunately no such
| information exists to the best of my knowledge.
`----

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/10/19/voting-candidates-on-technology-issues/

Recent:

BOSS Linux 3.0 Comes with KDE and GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| C-DAC (Center for Development of Advanced Computing) announced a few days ago
| the availability of the latest version of BOSS Linux. This release brings
| support for both KDE and GNOME desktop environments, and includes wide Indian
| language support, Bluetooth, PDF Viewer and RSS Feed Reader.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/BOSS-Linux-3-0-Comes-with-KDE-and-Gnome-93143.shtml

Bharat Operating System Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS (Bharat Operating System Solutions) is a GNU/Linux distribution
| developed by  C-DAC (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing) for
| enhancing the use of Free/ Open Source Software throughout India. BOSS
| Linux - a key deliverable of NRCFOSS is an Indian GNU/Linux distribution &
| currently localized to Tamil / Hindi. Targeting Indian user it is designed as
| a user-friendly Desktop environment coupled with Indian language support and
| other packages that are highly relevant for use in the government
| domain.Subsequent version will support the educational domain as well. The
| ultimate goal is to localize into all 22 official Indian regional languages.
| So this benefits non-english speakers to reach technology that bridge digital
| divide in India.
`----

http://bosslinux.in/boss-3-0-release

C-DAC Launches BOSS Linux Version 3.0, Signs MoU with NIC

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itnewsonline.com/news/C-DAC-Launches-BOSS-Linux-Version-3.0,-Signs-MoU-with-NIC/13087/4/1