[News] 6 New GNU/Linux Distributions Released, One BSD

[CentOS-announce] CentOS 4.7 Server CD - x86_64 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The single CD server install for CentOS 4.7 / x86_64 has now been
| released and is available from all active mirrors.
`----

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2008-October/015329.html

Elive 1.9.10 development released

,----[ Quote ]
| This version doesn't include Exalt anymore (network configurator). You have a
| new application available in Elpanel (not in the desktop gadget yet). It is
| in a early development stage but you are more than welcome to report any bug
| (or request feature) on http://bugs.elivecd.org. If you prefer you can still
| install Exalt or Wicd at your choice.
`----

http://www.elivecd.org/Main/News/elive-development-1.9.10-released

Plamo 4.5

http://www.linet.gr.jp/Plamo/plamo-4.5.html

Linux Mint 5 x64 Edition released!

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint is proud to announce that Linux Mint 5 Elyssa is now available on
| AMD64 for 64 bit processors.
|
| In the future the x64 edition will be released at the same time as the Main
| and Light editions.
|
| The purpose of the x64 edition is to offer the same desktop features as the
| Main edition but in a 64 bit environment. It aims to be as similar to the
| Main edition as possible. Due to the nature of its architecture, its package
| base and its origins it defers in the following ways:
|
|     * Linux Mint x64 Edition was forked from Ubuntu Hardy as opposed to
|       Ubuntu Edgy for the Main Edition,
|     * Linux Mint x64 Edition comes with a java plugin implemented by OpenJDK,
|       as opposed to Sun for the Main Edition.
|     * Linux Mint x64 Edition comes with Xchat instead of Xchat-Gnome
|     * Linux Mint x64 Edition comes with Flash 9 instead of Flash 10
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=389

Vyatta 4.1.4

http://www.vyatta.org/

10/18/08 - Parted Magic 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Parted magic released with only minor changes from RC1. One of the most
| important new developments is the HDD version. This is a new concept in
| rescue/partitioning environments. It's basically a copy and paste USB
| distribution for system admins and is the future of the Parted Magic project.
| Version 4.0 will be largely based on Slackware Linux and will offer package
| management and most things you would expect from a small rescue environment.
| My honest opinion is the death of CDs and DVDs is closer than most people
| think and the dominance of flash media with RW is the future of any system
| admins toolbox. This forum post describes the new HDD version. In the weeks
| to come, new documents will be written to describe its uses in better detail.
| The 3.x series might be the last of the RO "Live" media environments for
| Parted Magic which a large number of distributions do better than us anyway.
`----

http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php?n=PartedMagic.News

BSDanywhere 4.3 Final Release

,----[ Quote ]
| After eight months of work we've now released the final version of
| BSDanywhere 4.3 - Enlightenment at your fingertips, the OpenBSD Live CD.
`----

http://bsdanywhere.org/node/35

Related:

More distros = more choice

,----[ Quote ]
| With more than 300 active distributions (distros), Linux is on a roll. Linux
| distros primarily differ in terms of features since they are built on
| variants of the same kernel (32-bit/64-bit; with various features of the
| kernel enabled or disabled). “All the Linux distributions come from the same
| upstream kernel and what distinguishes each distribution is how they provide
| support, get ISVs to certify the ISV applications on the specific
| distribution, and how IHVs (Independent Hardware Vendor) get to do the same,”
| feels Nandu Pradhan, President & Managing Director, Red Hat India.
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20080211/opensource03.shtml

Distros Don’t Drive Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of press and people focus on Linux distributions when they check out
| what happens in Linux land. This and that distro come in new releases and
| they offer this and that brand new feature. This is also true of the many
| linux podcasts. They give credit to distros for new things that pop up.
`----

http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2007/10/28/distros-dont-drive-development/

The distro jungle

,----[ Quote ]
| People who are new to Linux are often confused by the large number of
| distributions to choose from. The good news is that you can safely ignore
| most of them. This article helps you choose a distribution for getting
| started with your Linux exploration—and helps you understand just what
| it is you've just chosen.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-distros/?S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR&ca=dgr-btw01distrojungle

Schism

,----[ Quote ]
| When someone says a recent Linux Distro is 100 times better than another
| recent Linux distro, I worry a little that schism has lead to computer
| religion. Taken on its face, examined rationally, you have to ask "how can
| that be?". They all feed off the same kernel stock, and pull in the same sets
| of office projects and same GUI projects and so forth.
`----

http://on-being-open.blogspot.com/2007/09/schism.html

Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing

,----[ Quote ]