[News] IDG/IDC Lets Microsoft Spew Linux FUD/Libel in Public

Microsoft exec touts mixed source ventures

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has been making moves on the licensing front and accommodations
| with open source, such as its controversial 2006 agreement with Novell
| pertaining to Suse Linux. Looking to elaborate on Microsoft's activities,
| Horacio Gutierrez, Microsoft vice president and deputy general counsel for
| Intellectual Property and Licensing, met last week with InfoWorld Editor at
| Large Paul Krill at InfoWorld offices in San Francisco.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/56391/microsoft-exec-touts-mixed-source-ventures

The dying embers of Microsoft's IP claims against open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Indeed, I'd argue that one primary reason for shacking up with Novell wasn't
| Microsoft's patent portfolio, but rather Novell's: Novell had key IP that
| goes to the heart of Microsoft's Office business. The Linux patent covenant
| was a way for Microsoft to clean up its own patent violations. Funny, that.
| When I was at Novell my team in the CTO's office never worried about a patent
| lawsuit from Microsoft.
|
| But that's just the way the modern software world works: it's such a thicket
| of conflicting IP claims that the only rational (and workable) solution is to
| overlook competing claims.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10070008-16.html

Legal Eye: Do we need GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition, discriminatory patent deals of note have challenged the
| enforceability of version 2. The 2006 agreement between Microsoft and Novell
| was struck ostensibly to make Linux and Windows work better together. But it
| also created an uneasy truce; indeed, commentators argue that Microsoft has
| recently started telling people it will not sue open source software users
| for patent infringement provided the users purchased software from a vendor
| that is paying Microsoft for the privilege of using its patented technology.
`----

http://software.silicon.com/applications/0,39024653,39313846,00.htm

Novell is with Microsoft.

Recent:

Litigating against innovation: Legal attacks on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Patents and how they're controlled are damaging the way technology is
| developed - and the Linux case is a key example of this.
|
| [...]
|
| Litigation as a mode of business is fashionable in the current climate, but
| offers little or nothing of benefit to users or developers. Authorial
| copyrights in the US have been extended to 70 years after the author's death.
| The law that made this possible, the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act,
| was passed in 1998. Patent law, meanwhile, increasingly protects the
| interests of the powerful, encroaches upon notions of innovation and freedom
| to operate, and is used to inhibit competition. Both are in critical need of
| reform.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/199785/litigating-against-innovation-legal-attacks-on-linux.html

Memo to Microsoft: Put up or shut up on patent claims

,----[ Quote ]
| They have signed innumerable contracts based on the claims, contracts which
| assume the truth of the claims, and caused the production of products whose
| chief  selling point is that their makers admit the legitimacy of the claims.
|
| Microsoft seems in no hurry to change the status quo. They are not going to
| put up, in the form of a lawsuit. They are not going to shut up, either,
| given the commercial advantages they have created.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2460

'PatentGate,' one year later: Microsoft against the open-source world

,----[ Quote ]
| "Claiming you have IP that folks are infringing isn't the same thing as
| proving it," wrote Pamela Jones, author of the open-source legal blog
| Groklaw.net, in an e-mail. "I think they [Microsoft] are in a weaker position
| because they did the [cross-licensing] deals. It makes them look needy,
| like they can't make it any more without Linux."
|
| "The [legal] threat [to open-source] is no greater" today than a year ago,
| wrote Mark Radcliffe, a lawyer with DLA Piper's Silicon Valley office and the
| general counsel of the Open Source Initiative, which oversees the approval of
| open-source software licenses, in an e-mail.
|
| Take Redmond's attempts to persuade vendors to sign cross-licensing deals
| that include protection from potential open-source patent lawsuits by
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9087438&intsrc=news_ts_head

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?
|
| Ballmer: Open...Linux.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Related:

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html