[News] GNU/Linux Sub-notebook for as Little as £150

Get an Acer Aspire One Netbook for $309, shipped

,----[ Quote ]
| This particular model comes with an Intel Atom processor, 8.9-inch screen,
| 8GB solid-state drive, built-in Webcam, 5-in-1 media reader, and 512MB of
| RAM. It runs on the Linpus Linux Lite OS and includes a three-cell battery,
| which Acer says is good for up to three hours. CNET got 2 hours and 14
| minutes in its battery-drain test and awarded the Acer three stars out of
| five in its review (which called it "the best all-around Netbook we've seen
| for less than $400").
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10070019-58.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

Linux can save UK schools billions: Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| To reduce these we can do the following simple things:
|
|     * Stop using expensive software and use free software instead. Free, open
|     source software such as Linux is, of course, just that - free. OSS is
|     increasingly a 'shoe-in' for most of the expensively licenced proprietary
|     software used in schools. Open Source software is uniquely able to use
|     low energy consuming hardware. For example Linux desktop computers can
|     use one tenth of the power of Vista PC. Linux mini-notebooks (small
|     laptops) typically use one tenth the power of a Windows Vista laptop and
|     cost between £100 and £200. Low power means low heat production, so
|     schools can turn of the air-conditioning now required simply to deal with
|     the heat produced by hundreds of PCs.
|
|     * Use a VLE for all teaching resources. Open Source VLE Moodle is free
|     software but this is immaterial compared with the main potential benefit
|     of a VLE which is providing a web-based unified interface to access
|     electronically held resources. Once students have personal low cost
|     wirelessinternet-enabled devices they can access these resources and will
|     not need the endless printouts. The new £100-£200 Linux netbooks are the
|     obvious choice.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1394&blogid=17

The £99 laptop: how can it be so cheap?

,----[ Quote ]
| A new laptop computer for just £99 sounds like the kind of offer found in a
| spam e-mail or on a dodgy auction website. But the British company Elonex is
| launching the country’s first sub £100 computer later this month and hopes to
| be making 200,000 of them by the summer. It will be aimed at schoolchildren
| and teenagers, and looks set to throw the market for budget laptops wide
| open.
|
| Called the One, it can be used as a traditional notebook computer or, with
| the screen detached from the keyboard, as a portable “tablet” – albeit
| without the planned touchscreen that Elonex had to abandon to hit its £99
| price tag. Wi-fi technology lets users access the internet or swap music (and
| homework) files between computers wirelessly.
|
| [...]
|
| The secret is simple: open-source software. The One runs on Linux, which is a
| rival to Windows but completely free to use. Open-source software can be
| freely swapped or modified by anyone who wants it. In the past such operating
| systems (there are several of them) have been outgunned by the more
| sophisticated Windows programs. However, an open-source operating system is
| ideal for low-cost devices as it performs well on less powerful, cheaper
| hardware.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article3374812.ece

Mini-laptop sweeps through schools

,----[ Quote ]
| RM, the company supplying the Minibook computer to schools, sold out its
| first order of 6,000 within weeks, and is now projecting school sales of
| 30,000 by the end of the year. They are attracting the attention of IT
| teachers, and with them a multimillion-pound market in school computing so
| far dominated by Microsoft, the Goliath to RM's David.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year the government spent £801m on IT equipment for schools. Microsoft
| has the lion's share of the market, but the Minibooks circumvent this iron
| grip by using Linux open source software instead of Microsoft Windows Vista.
`----

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,2255522,00.html

Shuttle KPC K45: £180 Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Shuttle piqued our interest recently when it announced the KPC -- a low-cost
| Linux desktop PC you'll be able to buy for a paltry €199 (£180 including
| VAT), or for €94 (£85) in K45 barebones form.
`----

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/desktops/0,39029426,49296161,00.htm

Related:

How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

,----[ Quote ]
| So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
| after the high end market.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352

Low-cost laptops make PC makers mull margins

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cfba14f4-cf64-11dc-854a-0000779fd2ac.html