[News] Debian Etch for Advanced Desktop Users and Ubuntu for "Average Desktop Users"

  • Subject: [News] Debian Etch for Advanced Desktop Users and Ubuntu for "Average Desktop Users"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 00:06:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Debian (Etch) Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’re a hardened user then you’ll already know that Debian is good so I
| don’t need to tell you, if you have a good knowledge of Linux and you
| understand the file system and how it works, but just haven’t tried Debian
| yet then I highly recommend doing so. I started out years ago, using Red Hat
| based systems such as Fedora Core and since I tried Debian and it’s
| derivitives I now much prefer them. Debian is definitely on my recommended
| list but not to new users, purely because it assumes some if not a lot of
| knowledge about Linux in order to tweak it. If you’re a new user and you’re
| not too familiar with Linux in general don’t go trying Debian yet it might
| just put you off the whole idea of using Linux as your operating system. We
| use Debian for a lot of our in-house and customer servers but it’s also very
| good as a corporate desktop.
`----

http://inform.symsysit.com/2008/10/debian-etch-linux-review/

Why Ubuntu Then?

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of Linux distributions, although quite capable in the desktop arena,
| cater more to geeks and developers, taking up valuable disk space with a lot
| of junk you’ll probably never use. Ubuntu’s purpose is to grab desktop market
| share from the Redmond folks, so the needs of the common end user are always
| in mind. The result is that Ubuntu’s GNOME desktop environment is a very
| comfy place for the average desktop user to be.
`----

http://computingtech.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-ubuntu-then.html

Yesterday:

Debian as a Desktop GNU+Linux Distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| Thinking about it, I’m not entirely sure what constitutes an “end-user
| distribution”. Perhaps I am equating an “end-user distribution” with
| a “desktop distribution”. And why not? What determines if a GNU+Linux
| distribution is an end-user distribution? It seems to me that the packages
| that are available within the distribution, and the functionality of said
| packages, are what determines if a distribution is an end-user distribution.
| And, as most people are aware, Debian contains a huge amount of packages
| within its repositories. Packages that deliver no less functionality than
| those GNU+Linux distributions that everyone can agree are “end-user
| distributions”. Just that fact, alone, should be enough to convince anyone
| that Debian is, indeed, an end-user distribution.
`----

http://gnulinuxfun.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/debian-as-a-desktop-gnulinux-distribution/

Recent:

Deploying KDE [+Debian GNU/Linux] to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html