[News] More Linux-based Media Players Come with Ogg Support

New Archos 5, 7 firmware adds OGG / FLAC support, fixes bugs

,----[ Quote ]
| We noticed a few problems with the firmware on the Archos 5 we got our hands
| on last month, and it now looks like the company is going some way towards
| addressing a few of those complaints with its latest update, and it's thrown
| in a few goodies for good measure.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/13/new-archos-5-7-firmware-adds-ogg-flac-support-fixes-bugs/

Recent:

Use Ogg - The Media Format of Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Increasingly -proprietary- evil software companies like Microsoft, Apple, and
| Adobe are pushing video and audio formats that restrict access and restrict
| software developers, but there is an alternative that can be played on all
| computers without restriction — Ogg.
`----

http://colonos.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/use-ogg-the-media-format-of-freedom/

Firefox 3.1 beta 1 adds support for OGG formats

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s going to be easier to use this format if millions of users will be able
| to play it without adding additional plugins. This is really a major
| milestone for open standards on the web. The pressure on patented formats
| like the whole MPEG4 family will increase.
`----

http://maffulli.net/2008/10/16/firefox-31-beta-1-adds-support-for-ogg-formats/

Ogg on the Rise

,----[ Quote ]
| And things are looking up on the audio front as well, with more and more
| sites casting Ogg Vorbis streams and downloads. The Canadian Broadcasting
| Corporation has been streaming Ogg for quite some time (CBC Radio 1, 2, and
| 3), as well as Germany's Deutschlandradio. More recently the U.S. National
| Public Radio station affiliate, WBUR Boston has begun streaming Ogg Vorbis.
| And, after a brief visit to New Zealand last August by Richard Stallman, we
| received word from Radio New Zealand that they had begun providing Oggcasts
| of much of their programming.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/OggOnTheRise

Firefox to Support Open Video Format in Next Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Blizzard reports from this week’s Mozilla Summit: Firefox will natively
| support the Ogg Theora video format!
`----

http://internet.boredblogs.net/?p=2363

Radio NZ rolls out Ogg Vorbis

,----[ Quote ]
| Hulse says the use of Ogg Vorbis has been in the planning stage for a while,
| but was delayed while he worked out a way to rationalise Radio New Zealand’s
| storage.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/48FDE3BF317797CECC2574C500031C60

Summer of Code: Ogg Theora Port

,----[ Quote ]
| Porting open, patent free codecs to our devices has always been of great
| interest to neuros and many of our users. As some of you Neuros old timers
| may recall, we were the first to port the Ogg Vorbis audio codec to a
| portable HDD audio player. Now it's time, hopefully, to do the same with the
| Ogg Theora video codec.
`----

http://open.neurostechnology.com/content/summer-code-ogg-theora-port

Related:

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/09/nokia-to-w3c-ogg-is.html