[News] [Rival] Yahoo Claimed Safe from Abusive Acquirer

Yahoo shares dip below $12 amid call for Microsoft deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The shares haven't dipped below $12 since the summer of 2003.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/yahoo-shares-dip-below-12/story.aspx?guid=%7BBAA2FA5C-38AC-497E-8507-950FC6786269%7D&dist=msr_1

Yahoo investor proposal unlikely to push Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| A relatively small Yahoo shareholder is proposing a new Microsoft takeover
| offer, but analysts don't think it's enough to entice the companies back to
| the negotiating table.
|
| On Thursday, Mithras Capital, a California investor and Yahoo shareholder,
| issued a statement proposing that Microsoft buy Yahoo at US$22 per share, $11
| less per share than Microsoft's last offer for the entire company, but still
| a premium over the current price.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/internet/55966/yahoo-investor-proposal-unlikely-push-microsoft

Recent:

AOL-Yahoo Merger Details Emerge; Deal Could Happen This Month

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo is continuing its marathon merger discussions with AOL, sources close
| to the negotiations have whispered to us, and a deal could happen as early as
| this month. Is this just a rehash of the reported discussions in February and
| then again in April?
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/06/AR2008100601196.html

Does Anyone Want Yahoo? Anyone? Bueller?

,----[ Quote ]
| Nine months after Yahoo first rejected a takeover bid from Microsoft, the
| Sunnyvale, Calif., Web search and advertising concern still is looking for a
| deal to solve its troubles.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/10/08/does-anyone-want-yahoo-anyone-bueller/

Investor proposes Microsoft buy Yahoo for $22 per share

,----[ Quote ]
| Under the proposal by investment fund Mithras Capital, Microsoft would unload
| Yahoo's Asian assets and non-search businesses, extract $3 billion worth of
| cost savings and receive $2.8 billion of tax benefits, meaning the software
| giant would pay $10.3 billion for Yahoo's search business.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/innovationNews/idUSTRE4990IN20081010

Yahoo investor seeks to revive Microsoft deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The investment firm Mithras Capital, a large Yahoo Inc. shareholder, has
| renewed its push to get the Web-search company to sell itself to Microsoft
| Corp., according to press reports.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/yahoo-investor-seeks-revive-microsoft/story.aspx?guid=%7BBB02CF93-610C-42AD-9FAD-63E7B5838321%7D&dist=msr_13

Review delays Yahoo, Google pact

,----[ Quote ]
| The pact was brokered in the wake of Microsoft's withdrawn takeover bid for
| Yahoo. At the time, Microsoft had changed course to try and buy Yahoo's
| search biz, but Yahoo wasn't interested in such an arrangement.
|
| Since then, Google's share of the Web search market has widened to 63% as of
| August, according to Internet tracking firm comScore. Yahoo dropped to 19.6%
| and Microsoft slipped to 8.3%.
`----

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117993461.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1

Live Searches Drop Below 1 Billion

,----[ Quote ]
| August U.S. search share data shows ugly declines for Microsoft in 2008.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/advertising_search/live_searches_drop_below_1_billion.html

Yahoo joins Google in defending ad deal

,----[ Quote ]
| "Here's the bottom line," Decker wrote late last week. "Yahoo will use this
| agreement to help us become a stronger competitor in all aspects of online
| advertising; and Yahoo is not exiting the sponsored search business. We plan
| to remain a strong player in sponsored search."
|
| [...]
|
| Early on, she takes issue with a statistic thrown around by Microsoft that
| the deal gives Google 90 percent share of the search-ad market, a statistic
| that derives from combining the two companies' individual share. "That's just
| plain wrong," she said. "It's important to note that the agreement is
| non-exclusive and gives us the option to 'backfill' with Google ads if and
| when we see fit. The reason we structured the deal this way--rather than a
| more typical exclusive deal with revenue commitments to us and traffic
| commitments to Google--was precisely to avoid the issues the critics are
| raising."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10053365-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google Gets 70% of U.S. Searches

,----[ Quote ]
| But Google's gain led to lower numbers for other search companies. Yahoo Inc.
| received 19.62% of U.S. searches in June, down from 21.31% last year, while
| MSN Search received 5.46%, down from 9.85% in June 2007.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148649/google_gets_70_of_us_searches.html

Microsoft shifts its search to AOL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business/Microsoft-shifts---its.4306016.jp

| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

Microsoft's new tack: Bribery as a business model

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-9949286-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20