[News] Open Source Music from Ubuntu's Community Manager; Best Ubuntu Music Player

  • Subject: [News] Open Source Music from Ubuntu's Community Manager; Best Ubuntu Music Player
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:30:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Ubuntu Linux community gets its first (second?) rock star

,----[ Quote ]
| You would think that it's a hard enough job taking on Microsoft's desktop
| dominance. Ubuntu's community lead Jono Bacon, however, may actually have an
| even more audacious goal in mind: completely change the economics of the
| music industry.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10067545-16.html

More From the Open Source Music Garage

,----[ Quote ]
| The thing many people don't realize is that successful musicians get most of
| their money from live performances, not album sales. Since the Severed Fifth
| album will be offered for free, sales of the album are irrelevant, and
| commercial success isn't a stated goal of the project. If Severed Fifth can
| simply create an enthusiastic community around an album, live performances
| might attract audiences and grow the community larger, though. It will be
| interesting to watch this effort.
`----

http://ostatic.com/174422-blog/more-from-the-open-source-music-garage

Best Music Player For Ubuntu - Exaile?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the reasons why I love Linux are music players. On Windows you get WMP
| 11 which is a decent thing to play MP3's however there is no support for
| fetching album art, lyrics and other stuff. The other alternatives aren't so
| so good either, iTunes is a resource hog (1GB of RAM to play Maddona, you are
| kidding!).
`----

http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/2008/10/best-music-player-for-ubuntu-exaile.html

Recent:

Ubuntu announces free culture winners

,----[ Quote ]
| The winners of this round of the Ubuntu culture showcase are Andrés Vidau, an
| electronics engineer and Mexican musician and Andrew Higginson. Vidau’s
| submission was the track Patas de Trapo, a collaboration with guitarist
| Mauricio Barron.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3286

Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase is Born!