[News] Police State-like Deformations of Law in US, UK

NSA's Warrantless Eavesdropping Targets Innocent Americans

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember when the U.S. government said it was only spying on terrorists?
| Anyone with any common sense knew it was lying -- power without oversight is
| always abused -- but even I didn't think it was this bad:
|
|     Faulk says he and others in his section of the NSA facility at Fort
|     Gordon routinely shared salacious or tantalizing phone calls that had
|     been intercepted, alerting office mates to certain time codes of "cuts"
|     that were available on each operator's computer.
|
|     "Hey, check this out," Faulk says he would be told, "there's good phone
|     sex or there's some pillow talk, pull up this call, it's really funny, go
|     check it out. It would be some colonel making pillow talk and we would
|     say, 'Wow, this was crazy'," Faulk told ABC News.
|
| Warrants are a security device. They protect us against government abuse of
| power.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/10/nsas_warrantles.html

UK appeals court rejects encryption key disclosure defense

,----[ Quote ]
| Defendants can't deny police an encryption key because of fears the data it
| unlocks will incriminate them, a British appeals court has ruled.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;897277082

So based on suspicion alone, encryption is rendered moot and forbidden.

Recent:

Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

,----[ Quote ]
| If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
| terrorism. It's already being misused.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/animal_rights_a.html

Judge: Man can't be forced to divulge encryption passphrase

,----[ Quote ]
| In this case, Judge Niedermeier took the second approach. He said that
| encryption keys can be "testimonial," and even the prosecution's alternative
| of asking the defendant to type in the passphrase when nobody was looking
| would be insufficient.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9834495-38.html?tag=nefd.blgs

Feds appeal loss in PGP compelled-passphrase case

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9854034-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20