[News] Tim Bray Advocates Free Software Amid Hard Times

Free Software Now

,----[ Quote ]
| Take-Ways · Two seem obvious: First, use Open Source. Second, if you’re doing
| a startup, and you were thinking of the Enterprise Software business model,
| think again. Because nobody’s going to be cutting those big software-license
| POs. ¶
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/10/13/Open-Source-Now

On Tough Times

,----[ Quote ]
| Right now it feels to me like the day after Katrina hit New Orleans. We’re
| all beat up and battered, but mostly still alive and starting to think about
| maybe rebuilding. But in the background, the waters are rising and the levee
| is failing.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/10/11/Tough-Times

A Good Time for Agility

,----[ Quote ]
| When business is lousy, getting projects approved and budgeted is
| challenging. Which means, tough times are good times to be agile. [This is
| part of the Tough Times series.]
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/10/12/Tough-Times-Agility

Get In the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| When times are tough, money is tight. Which means, you’d think, that the
| golden era of Cloud Computing, as in pay-as-you-go infrastructure, is upon
| us. It should be, but we’re not there yet.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/10/14/Cloudy-Times

Recent:

Lock-In, the 2008 Flavor

,----[ Quote ]
| So, if I want to watch the Olympics online, I need to install Microsoft
| Silverlight. And if I’m interested in good-looking new high-end compact
| cameras, I’m super-interested in the new Nikon P6000; which writes a RAW
| format that can only be read by Microsoft WIC, available only on Windows.
|
| Open, non-proprietary equivalents to all of these, which do not constrain
| your customers’ choice of platform, are widely available.
|
| Nikon is a competent camera company. The IOC is a competent sports
| impresario. The Chinese government is a competent authoritarian dictatorship.
| Pity they’re all so fucking stupid about technology.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/08/10/Microsoft

Tim Bray provides a bridge between Sun and developers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/133149