[News] Toshiba Preinstalls GNU/Linux on High-end Models

Toshiba unveils HSDPA-ready Portégé trio

,----[ Quote ]
| Users will be able to choose between Windows XP or Linux on all three models.
| All three have integrated webcams too.

Toshiba NB100 netbook announced for the UK

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba has announced the UK arrival of the Toshiba NB100, the company's
| first product to enter the growing netbook market.
| The company says the 8.9-inch NB100 is a "stylish, compact device with
| advanced communication and multimedia capabilities" that weighs in at less
| than a kilo.

Toshiba releases Linux netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba Australia has yet to advise on local availability and price. The
| NB100 lands in Europe next month from £260, which is as near as dammit to
| $600, although that doesn’t take into account the GST and other markups.

Toshiba takes wraps off netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| It's official: Toshiba today formally launched its entry into the Small,
| Cheap Computer arena, following Dell's lead and equipping the Linux version
| with Ubuntu 8.04.

Not a lot of old tosh: the new Toshiba NB100 Netbook revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| An Atom N270 CPU, a Linux Ubuntu 8.04 version, a Windows XP Home version,
| WiFi, Ethernet, USB x3, 0.3MP webcam, up to 120GB hard drive storage,
| middling battery life of around 3.5 hours, weight in the 1 kilo area and a
| choice of colours including gold, silver and black.

Toshiba unveils NB100 mini laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the Asus Eee PC models, the Toshiba NB100 has a 120GB hard drive. It
| also has 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi, 10/100 Ethernet and three USB ports. It is
| expected to ship in October for about £260.

Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
| distribution in the UK, according to Context.
| Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.

Dell UK launches systems with preinstalled Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is now selling selected systems with Ubuntu 8.0.4, Hardy Heron,
| pre-installed in the United Kingdom . Ubuntu has been an option some Dell
| systems in the past, but only in the United States. Dell is pre-installing
| Ubuntu on the XPS M3110 and Inspiron 1525n laptops and the Inspiron 530n
| desktop system.

Toshiba phone runs Linux on virtual platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Kernel Labs (OK Labs) says its open source real-time
| virtualizing microkernel was used by Toshiba in a mobile phone
| widely available in Japan and Australia. Toshiba's W47T phone runs
| Linux on top of OK's OKL4 microkernel, and is distributed by
| KDDI, Japan's second-largest wireless carrier.

Ocean Blue Wins order to Develop Software for Toshiba 'Donau' "system-on-chip"

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Linux-based software will allow for fast development of
| reduced component count consumer electronics products, such as
| set top boxes (STBs), integrated digital televisions (iDTVs),
| personal video recorders (PVRs), and combination hard disk/DVD
| recorder systems.

Toshiba Italy mulls pre-loaded Linux notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba's Italian channel sales and marketing operation reportedly
| is considering offering pre-loaded Linux in its Tecra, Satellite, Portege,
| and Qosmio notebook lines, according to a story published online last week
| in the Il Sole newspaper.

Toshiba Gigabeat Added to Rockbox

,----[ Quote ]
| 2006-12-29: Toshiba Gigabeat builds added to the CVS build table and the
| daily builds.

Some Toshiba portable computers cannot be upgraded to Windows Vista?

,----[ Quote ]