Re: [News] Mozilla Lobbies for Open/Libre Video on the Web

After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
>
> You forgot two things:
>
> * that works efficiently with video
> * that works efficiently with audio
>
> Ideally, the OSS solution would work *more* efficiently than
> any of the proprietary ones.

Or as "efficiently".  I haven't played with Theora, but I used Vorbis
(audio) heavily for awhile, and would still be using it heavily if my
damn car CD player supported it.

Vorbis /is/ efficient.  Not sure if it is more so than WMV, but that
format is, shall we say, encumbered.

> True, Ogg and Theora at least are open source.  I don't know
> regarding their efficiency yet, though Ogg is fairly popular
> for audio.

One would think that Microsoft could /always/ make its own formats more
efficient, at least on Windows.  <grin>

You need to open your mind.  Here, Ghost, have this nice little sugar
cube:

--
I believe that if people would learn to use LSD's vision-inducing capability
more wisely, under suitable conditions, in medical practice and in conjunction