[News] Best Market Conditions for Schools to Embrace GNU/Linux and FOSS

Why Open Source is good for Academic Institutions?

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source with its promise of distributing source code and allowing anyone
| to modify it or derive other software from it, makes it an excellent choice
| for learning computer science, technology and engineering of software.
|
| [...]
|
| It is the best time for academic institutes, faculty and students to come
| together to adopt open source technologies like Linux Operating System, MySQL
| & Postgress databases, Perl, PHP, Python, Java and Ruby programming
| languages, Open Standards for application architecture and engineering, Open
| Source tools and Open Source Business applications in all domains.
`----

http://advice.cio.com/manjukg/why_open_source_is_good_for_academic_institutions

Recent:

The kids are all right with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently my son’s school spent the summer ripping out the old PC system and
| replacing it with a centralized Linux server and terminals.
|
| Now here’s the real shocking part.
|
| No one noticed. There’s not even a mention of it on the school Web site.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2769

Teaching tech to tots: The use of Linux and open source in pre-schools

,----[ Quote ]
| What started as wondering how to contribute to my 5 year old son’s pre-school
| lead to the discovery of some absolutely terrific open source software that
| really aids the educational process. Here’s why even in this Microsoft world
| Linux is the best platform for early childhood education.
|
| [...]
|
| Yet, there was another option: Ubuntu Linux, rapidly becoming the best known
| Linux distribution available and which specifically has an educational add-on
| called Edubuntu.
|
| [...]
|
| If you are a parent or educator, do look into what open source software has
| to offer you, and do so without fear that your child will have difficulties
| transitioning from Microsoft Windows to a Linux environment.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19805/1141/

Russian Schools A-Rushin' to Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| [Via Google Translate: In more than 50% of schools pilot regions, where the
| scheduled installation of free software packages (PSPO), distributions have
| been installed.
|
| So far a total of PSPO installed in 572 schools in the republic of Tatarstan,
|                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Perm Territory, and Tomsk region (of the planned 1084).]
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/07/russian-schools-rushin-to-free-software.html

10 Reasons why Free Software and GNU/Linux should be used in schools

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve got a pet peeve. I love reading “Why GNU/Linux should be used in
| schools” articles. My pet peeve is the fact that the main focus of most of
| these articles is cost. The way it is portrayed by the media turns it into a
| cheap “alternative” that you use if you can’t afford Windows or hate
| Microsoft. This isn’t what makes GNU/Linux truly great for schools. Using
| that as my motivational drive, I decided to compile a list of the top 10
| reasons that make GNU/Linux and other Free Software essential for schools.
|
| 1. No vendor lock-ins ...
|
| 2. Freedom to redistribute ...
|
| 3. Security ...
|
| 4. No pressure to upgrade ...
`----

http://trombonechamp.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/10-reasons-why-free-software-and-gnulinux-should-be-used-in-schools/
http://tinyurl.com/6y9pns

Koreans to showcase open source experience in Cebu summit

,----[ Quote ]
| KIPA has been actively pushing open source use in government. One of its
| projects resulted in a local version of Linux (called Buyeo) now used in
| nearly 200 schools in South Korea.
|
| KIPA is likewise working to make Linux more readily available to companies in
| Korea. It has publicly stated its goal to run 40 percent of servers in the
| country on open source.
|
| [...]
|
| Hansoft, meanwhile, will also be sending speakers to the conference. The
| company is one of Korea's biggest software firms and has active participation
| in various open source projects, including Asianux, a Linux version targeted
| at Asian markets.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080614-142687/Koreans-to-showcase-open-source-experience-in-Cebu-summit
http://tinyurl.com/55k4qo

Linux in Education: Concepts Not Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| At the grade school level though, we need to teach children not only how to
| use technology, but how to learn to use technology too. If we can offer
| students the use of Windows, Linux, and Macintosh, and be versed in Web 2.0,
| handheld computing, and application concepts -- we prepare them to succeed.
| Isn't that what we ultimately want for kids? For them to succeed in whatever
| they do?
|
| Linux is the PERFECT tool for education. It plays well with other operating
| systems, and offers such a wide variety of applications, that it's silly not
| to expose children to its usage. Oh, and there's also that little thing
| called cost. For many schools, that alone can seal the deal. Linux offers
| more, costs less, and can even fit well with existing tools.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-education-concepts-not-applications

Related:

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
| Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
| the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
| across the country in the near future.
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

FR: Education Ministry encourages Open Source use

,----[ Quote ]
| The department at the French Ministry of Education that is handling
| purchasing of software and software licenses is increasing its Open Source
| offerings to some 1.5 million teachers and education workers in 250
| institutes France.
|
| [...]
|
| The discount agreement with Mandriva is valid for the next four years. How
| many of France's postgraduate schools and universities today use GNU/Linux
| distribution Mandriva is not recorded, said Verez.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7663/469

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]