[News] Free Software and GNU/Linux Versus Poverty

How Linux Can Help Reduce Poverty

,----[ Quote ]
| Poverty is a global problem, which is not limited to third world developing
| countries. Even mature developed nations like United States has ~18% poverty
| rate. There are many reasons and causes of poverty, which includes but not
| limited to, natural disasters, war, disease, politics, religion, and
| over-population and so on and so forth. Some of these causes are beyond our
| control while others are beyond our means. There is no single factor that can
| totally eliminate poverty, even the almighty latest Linux Kernel release; but
| many ideas and anti-poverty initiative can come together to reduce the causes
| of poverty.
`----

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/10/12/how-linux-can-help-reduce-poverty/

Related:

Is there money in them thar open source hills?

,----[ Quote ]
| The longer I work in open source, the more it's clear to me that opens
| ource can crack the billion-dollar barrier. I live it every day, and advise
| a range of companies that are successfully tracking billion-dollar
| trajectories.
|
| Will people pay seven figures-plus for open source? Of course. Just ask
| SugarCRM, Red Hat, JBoss, or MySQL. I personally see a range of six-figure
| deals crossing my desk, with seven-figure deals a quarter away. Open source
| does not equal poverty; open source equals massive opportunity. Thei
| ndustry is rapidly maturing, and that maturity leads to open source,
| and rising profits therein.
|
| Five years from now, no one will bother selling proprietary bits anymore.
| Why would they? The only thing that is lacking today is understanding of
| the business models that are driving open source success.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2006/09/is_there_money.html

Social inclusion with Xubuntu: A tale of free software changing lives

,----[ Quote ]
| M6-IT, a Community Interest Community in the UK, are part way through a
| project to equip socially excluded families with computers running Xubuntu.
|
| [...]
|
| The project is funded from a local regeneration budget, and supported by a
| partnership of four local schools called Quadrant C. Working with them we
| have identified pupils moving into secondary school who don’t have access to
| a home computer. We invite the families to a training session. The next step
| is to provide Internet access and a home computer for the family.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/social_inclusion_xubuntu_tale_free_software_changing_lives

Hi-Tech Under The Tree - Hey...It's What We Do.

,----[ Quote ]
| Komputers4Kids has had a good year. To this date, we have either built or
| been donated 110 computers for financially or socially under-privileged kids.
| We here at Lobby4Linux have installed each one of them and then taught them
| how to use their new Linux System.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/393-Hi-Tech-Under-The-Tree-Hey...Its-What-We-Do..html

Students may get recycled computers

,----[ Quote ]
| All of the hard drives have been reformatted so it contains no
| district information. Each computer will also include a free set
| of software which will include a word processing application,
| a photo manipulation application and a few games along with a
| Linux operating system.
`----

http://www.wcmessenger.com/news/news/EEZlAlVkEpEFmkSpXI.php

Vector Linux Environmental Stewards