[News] Linux Reigns HPC, Windows a Disaster (Reboots, Crashes, Incompatibilities)

  • Subject: [News] Linux Reigns HPC, Windows a Disaster (Reboots, Crashes, Incompatibilities)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:14:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Opinion: High-performance nonsense

,----[ Quote ]
| Quiz time. Get out your No. 2 computers and answer the following question:
| For the fastest and most reliable high-end computing for your enterprise,
| will your operating system be 1) Linux, 2) Solaris, 3) OpenVMS or 4) Windows?
|
| [...]
|

| Microsoft, after spending decades paying no real attention to
| high-performance computing, wants to be an HPC player with the release of HPC
| Server 2008. Can you believe it? Yes, there was Windows Compute Cluster
| Server 2003. After a long search, I found one user. He told me, "Updates that
| require reboots are far too frequent for production-use systems," "Jobs
| randomly crash," and "Few HPC applications actually support Windows compute
| nodes."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=windows&articleId=327651&taxonomyId=125&intsrc=kc_feat

Recent:

Building an HPC Linux cluster has gotten simpler, Beowulf leader says

,----[ Quote ]
| Donald Becker, an MIT grad who in the 1990s pioneered high-performance
| computing (HPC) with commodity components, returned to his alma mater
| recently to update the Boston Linux & Unix User Group (BLU) on the state of
| HPC and his work to make Linux clusters more powerful, more user-friendly and
| easier to manage.
|
| Now Becker is the CTO of Scyld Software and its parent company, Penguin
| Computing Inc.. In 1994, he helped launch NASA's Beowulf Project which
| demonstrated that $50,000 of commodity hardware, clustered together, could
| equal the performance of a $1 million Cray supercomputer. For his work, he
| received the Gordon Bell Prize from the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and
| Electronics Engineers Inc.) Computer Society in 1997.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1322424,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/63ptvc

Purdue IT Staff Builds Supercomputer In A Half Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Dwight McKay, Purdue's director of systems engineering, said Steele is
| running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0. It's running a number of scientific
| programming libraries, typical scientific applications, and the cfengine, an
| open source management tool for running a large cluster.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/supercomputers/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207601782

Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/15/linux-in-more-than-90-of-top-supercomputers/
http://tinyurl.com/2rponk