Re: Asus ships Eee Box PCs with malware

____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 11 October 2008 15:33 : \____

> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> “According to an email sent out by Asus, PC Advisor reports,
>> the Eee Box’s 80GB hard drive has the recycled.exe virus files
>> hidden in the drive’s D: partition. When the drive is opened,
>> the virus activates and attempts to infect the C: drive and an
>> removable drives connected to the system. According to
>> Symantec, the malware is likely to be the W32/Usbalex worm,
>> which creates an autorun.inf file to trigger recycled.exe from
>> D:. Separately, we’ve been testing the Eee Box this week, and
>> discovered our review unit came loaded with the W32/Taterf
>> worm - aka W32.Gammima.AG, aka kavo.exe malware that sniffs
>> out online gaming usernames and passwords."
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2016&tag=nl.e589
>>
>> In other words, the virus comes with the Windows version.
>> Surprise, surprise.
>
> Interesting.  It goes to show how easy it is for Microsoft
> Windows to receive malware, not limited to consumers only.
> However, their Linux versions are not among those, thank
> goodness.   :-)

Of course, not many people who buy an ASUS Eee PC actually keep the operating
system on it.

Oh nn.

Some people enjoy their possibilities and resolve the problem when it turns out
that there's no Internet protection, no office suites, and the environment is
not so responsive.

Sometimes there may be technical errors too. It's a familiar situation though:

Someone asks you to resolve a problem with Windows.

You know you had the necessary skills.

You pick up your toolset, which includes a CD with vital software on it.

Having approached the problematic computer, it is clear that it needs to be
rebooted.

CD-ROM on the tray, boot and wipe.

Install GNU/Linux.

Windows problem solved.

Who ever said it's hard to resolve Windows issues?

People tend to forget how bad Old XP really is. That's because they compare it
to Vista rather than something like Mandriva 2009 or Leopard.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Mem:   2075800k total,  1878360k used,   197440k free,    46496k buffers