[News] [Rival] Yahoo Talks to AOL About Deal, Microsoft Vultures in Headlines Again

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Yahoo Talks to AOL About Deal, Microsoft Vultures in Headlines Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 06:06:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

AOL-Yahoo Merger Details Emerge; Deal Could Happen This Month

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo is continuing its marathon merger discussions with AOL, sources close
| to the negotiations have whispered to us, and a deal could happen as early as
| this month. Is this just a rehash of the reported discussions in February and
| then again in April?
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/06/AR2008100601196.html

Does Anyone Want Yahoo? Anyone? Bueller?

,----[ Quote ]
| Nine months after Yahoo first rejected a takeover bid from Microsoft, the
| Sunnyvale, Calif., Web search and advertising concern still is looking for a
| deal to solve its troubles.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/10/08/does-anyone-want-yahoo-anyone-bueller/

Investor proposes Microsoft buy Yahoo for $22 per share

,----[ Quote ]
| Under the proposal by investment fund Mithras Capital, Microsoft would unload
| Yahoo's Asian assets and non-search businesses, extract $3 billion worth of
| cost savings and receive $2.8 billion of tax benefits, meaning the software
| giant would pay $10.3 billion for Yahoo's search business.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/innovationNews/idUSTRE4990IN20081010

Yahoo investor seeks to revive Microsoft deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The investment firm Mithras Capital, a large Yahoo Inc. shareholder, has
| renewed its push to get the Web-search company to sell itself to Microsoft
| Corp., according to press reports.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/yahoo-investor-seeks-revive-microsoft/story.aspx?guid=%7BBB02CF93-610C-42AD-9FAD-63E7B5838321%7D&dist=msr_13

Review delays Yahoo, Google pact

,----[ Quote ]
| The pact was brokered in the wake of Microsoft's withdrawn takeover bid for
| Yahoo. At the time, Microsoft had changed course to try and buy Yahoo's
| search biz, but Yahoo wasn't interested in such an arrangement.
|
| Since then, Google's share of the Web search market has widened to 63% as of
| August, according to Internet tracking firm comScore. Yahoo dropped to 19.6%
| and Microsoft slipped to 8.3%.
`----

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117993461.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1

That's the Microsoft-controlled government and LawMedia shills doing their
dirty tricks again, just as they did when DoubleClick was involved.
DoubleClick, like Yahoo, was 'OK' for Microsoft to pursue, but not for Google,
says Microsoft.

Recent:

Live Searches Drop Below 1 Billion

,----[ Quote ]
| August U.S. search share data shows ugly declines for Microsoft in 2008.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/advertising_search/live_searches_drop_below_1_billion.html

Yahoo joins Google in defending ad deal

,----[ Quote ]
| "Here's the bottom line," Decker wrote late last week. "Yahoo will use this
| agreement to help us become a stronger competitor in all aspects of online
| advertising; and Yahoo is not exiting the sponsored search business. We plan
| to remain a strong player in sponsored search."
|
| [...]
|
| Early on, she takes issue with a statistic thrown around by Microsoft that
| the deal gives Google 90 percent share of the search-ad market, a statistic
| that derives from combining the two companies' individual share. "That's just
| plain wrong," she said. "It's important to note that the agreement is
| non-exclusive and gives us the option to 'backfill' with Google ads if and
| when we see fit. The reason we structured the deal this way--rather than a
| more typical exclusive deal with revenue commitments to us and traffic
| commitments to Google--was precisely to avoid the issues the critics are
| raising."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10053365-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google Gets 70% of U.S. Searches

,----[ Quote ]
| But Google's gain led to lower numbers for other search companies. Yahoo Inc.
| received 19.62% of U.S. searches in June, down from 21.31% last year, while
| MSN Search received 5.46%, down from 9.85% in June 2007.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148649/google_gets_70_of_us_searches.html

Microsoft shifts its search to AOL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/business/Microsoft-shifts---its.4306016.jp

| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

Microsoft's new tack: Bribery as a business model

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-9949286-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20