[News] OpenOffice.org a Success, Enough for Everyone at Schoolo

Measuring the true success of OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| Is success measured in downloads, or up-loads ? are bugs filed as good as
| bugs fixed ? are volunteer marketers as valuable as volunteer developers ? If
| we have lots of bugs filed and lots of volunteer management material is that
| success ? is the pace of change important ? Does successful QA exist to
| create process to slow and reject changes, or by accelerating inclusion of
| fixes improve quality ? Is success having complete, up-to-date and detailed
| specifications for every feature ? Is success getting everyone to slavishly
| obey laborious multi-step processes, before every commit ? Alternatively does
| success come through attracting and empowering developers, who have such fun
| writing the code that they volunteer their life, allegiance and dreams to
| improve it ?
`----

http://www.gnome.org/~michael/blog/ooo-commit-stats-2008.html

Is OpenOffice good enough?

,----[ Quote ]
| I still stick with my original answer: yes, it is. For the vast majority of
| users (students, teachers, and administrators, especially), OpenOffice is
| more than good enough. The price is certainly right, too.
|
| Even for the most savvy power users, OpenOffice will suffice. However,
| secretaries, as we all know, run our schools. Anything we can do to keep them
| happy and make them as productive as possible should probably be a high
| priority for us.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1893

Open Source in Education

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Government, even more so now they have just spanked £500bn propping up
| the banking system, must start to act and reduce the outrageous and
| completely wasteful expenditure on proprietary software. Why oh why don’t we
| just do a nation-wide roll out of OpenOffice.org to EVERY computer in the
| public sector and especially in Education? It would be a good start, and then
| we can get rid of that festering boil called Windows later.
|
|     * No more extortionate upgrade costs,
|     * no more public documents created in binary, patent encumbered formats,
|     * an end to the single vendor lock-in and monopoly,
|     * no more two-tier children…
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/10/10/open-source-in-education/

Recent:

Just a coincidence?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Davide Dozza, Chairman of Associazione PLIO: "The numbers are
| exactly the same. If it's just a coincidence, it's a very strange one.
| Downloads of the Italian version of OpenOffice.org were 800.000 in 2006 and
| 1.800.000 in 2007: the difference is exactly in the million of Italians
| that - according to Microsoft - have downloaded the trial version of Office
| 2007. We think that these users have decided to switch to OpenOffice.org as
| soon as they have realized that the effort to get used to the new ribbon
| interface is higher than the effort to migrate to the open source suite. In
| 2007, the majority of information requests has been about the compatibility
| with Windows Vista, and the trend stays unchanged in 2008".
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/01/just-coincidence.html

Related:

Sun Adds New Twinkle to StarOffice, OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]