[News] Web 2.0 is Dead, Long Live Free Software

An Ignoble But Much Needed End To Web 2.0, Marked By A Party In Cyprus

,----[ Quote ]
| So why the use of the word ignoble in the title? Well, all this went down at
| an unfortunate time for a score of Silicon Valley posterboys and girls as
| they partied 1999 style “the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus in October
| of 2008 for a week of reflections on life, love, and the Internet.” They
| leave behind an absurd video that would have gone unnoticed a month ago. But
| this week, with the walls tumbling down, they look like a bunch of jackasses
| who have no idea what’s going on back at home. And this video will always be
| associated with the end of Web 2.0.
|
| Goodbye, Web 2.0. I hope I never have to type those words again. Now can we
| please get back to work? There’s still a ton left to do before we get to
| Matrix-style virtual reality, the Singularity, and mobile phones with
| batteries that last a whole day.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/10/10/an-ignoble-but-much-needed-end-to-web-20/

Free software -> open source -> Web 2.0 (proprietary) and back to Free software
values again now that the bubble bursts.

Related:

Open Source and Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Moglen came out swinging, tossing out verbal jabs at the notion of Web 2.0
| and the apolitical notions of open source. Moglen asserted that he was being
| grumpy this morning because certain people had left the free software
| movement early to make money and left the free software folks to do all of
| the heavy lifting.
|
| [...]
|
| Moglen emphasized that Web 2.0 is nothing new under the sun, that the
| questions that O'Reilly was posing were coming up 10 years ago, and that the
| GPL v2 gave people like O'Reilly enough time, 10 years, to go off and make
| their millions and enjoy the fruits of free software's labors. And, Moglen
| added, the FSF, by releasing the GPL v3, just gave software vendors another
| 10 years to grow up and figure out what was really important and get freedom
| back into the conversation.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/070724-115717.html

Recent:

Stallman vs. Clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, I think that RMS is onto something. The core promise of computing,
| even on a vast network that connects us all, is autonomy and independence.
| It's being free (as in freedom) to operate on your own, and to share what's
| meant to be shared in ways that nobody else can control, and to improve
| useful goods in ways that work for everybody. There are, in those core
| values, imperatives that seem at odds with the dependencies that "cloud
| computing" can sometimes involve.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/stallman-vs-clouds

Cloud Computing: Perilous Pitfall or Panacea?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think Richard is right," Kevin Dean, a blogger on Monochrome Mentality,
| told LinuxInsider. Dean recently posted an article supporting cloud
| computing.
|
| "I sit here and type this out on my Gmail interface, but the truth is you DO
| give up some control when you place your data in the hands of other
| companies," Dean explained. "Your data is on their servers, but it's
| inaccessible if their servers crash, if they have a routing problem or --
| even worse -- vanish like several Web-driven services providers have, and
| your data is just gone. We place our trust in Web service providers to give
| us constant access to our oh-so-important data, yet we're fundamentally
| limiting ourselves by doing so."
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/64716.html

Stallman warns against cloud computing

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview reported by The Guardian, he said, "It's stupidity. It's
| worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype campaign."
|
| Stallman warns that cloud computing is simply a trap to entice users' into
| entrusting their data and computing applications to proprietary systems that
| are beyond their own control and which service providers could make more and
| more expensive for users over time. He doesn't trust the vendors.
|
| "Somebody is saying this is inevitable -- and whenever you hear somebody
| saying that, it's very likely to be a set of businesses campaigning to make
| it true," Stallman said.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/30/stallman-warns-against-cloud

Cloud computing is a trap, warns GNU founder Richard Stallman

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman